What's new

User Account Control Mysteriously Changes

rbpyle

I have a Surface Pro 3, Oct 28 firmware i5/256GB Win 8.1. Windows Defender as a the Anti Virus.

About once per day, or maybe every other day (I cant detect a pattern yet), and since I first got the machine, through some process User Account Control (UAC) is being lowered to 'Never Notify'. This if course breaks Metro Apps. I can use UserAccountControl with no problem to reset to the normal setting for Win8.1/Metro to function.

I am assuming that some application or configuration element is causing this.
1. I have run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
2. scanned for viruses
3. Corporate IT swears there is nothing they are doing or have no configuration

My question is, is there some way to log what application is changing the UserAccountControl level?

Any other suggestions on what may be doing this?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would expect that is already being logged in the security log.
Look for an entry when you change it then search for a similar entry.

OP
R

rbpyle

I would expect that is already being logged in the security log.
Look for an entry when you change it then search for a similar entry.
Yes, I would have expected that too, but so far I cannot see anything resembling meddling with user account control settings. At least not obviously.

I watched System, Security, and Applications Logs while I manually lowered abnd raised the UserAccountControl settings.

I read quite a few things in various support forums about this lack of logging for UserAccountControl being an issue in Win 7, but I do not see the same dialog on Win 8 so I am curious if this has been resolved and I just cant see it.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Troubleshooting malware and virus behavior can be a no win situation, I would do a refresh or reset....

Felipe Garcez

I have a Surface Pro 3, Oct 28 firmware i5/256GB Win 8.1. Windows Defender as a the Anti Virus.

About once per day, or maybe every other day (I cant detect a pattern yet), and since I first got the machine, through some process User Account Control (UAC) is being lowered to 'Never Notify'. This if course breaks Metro Apps. I can use UserAccountControl with no problem to reset to the normal setting for Win8.1/Metro to function.

I am assuming that some application or configuration element is causing this.
1. I have run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
2. scanned for viruses
3. Corporate IT swears there is nothing they are doing or have no configuration

My question is, is there some way to log what application is changing the UserAccountControl level?

Any other suggestions on what may be doing this?

I got my surface on July/2015 and I am having the same issue. Did you ever find a fix or a work around that does not require restart?