What's new

Using 2 laptops

wynand32

Precisely what I replaced my defunct Surface Brick with - it's a bit clunky in tablet mode compared to undocking the Surface Brick, & the pen (part of the price, along with a nice slip case) not quite so good for sketching, but it's generally a much better travel companion than the SB. It's even relatively "clean" as a system, with only McAffee trialware and some HP service software cluttering it up.

Agreed on your points, and I’d likely get the Spectre x360 13 with a 4K display and only flip the screen around to media mode for Netflix. Otherwise, I’d just use it as a clamshell — it’s just a nice notebook period, outside of being a 2-in-1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially when loaded up with crap like McAfee, the biggest memory and processor hog ever.

I have tested and used all of the major brand names of Anti-Virus software. If you can avoid it, don't use the major brand names such as NortoN, or the murderous McAffe (LOL) - What they do is examine and monitor many of the computers processes and service, taking a machine running at 100MPh and throttle it down (hypothetical) to 60-70. Over the years, through trial and tribulation, I have narrowed down my favorite using ZoneAlarm, which seemingly has the slightest effect on PC performance. This of course is just my opinion based on small, local, self-imposed benchmark tests. Another decent one, is AVG.

Think it over when it comes to virus protection - Or better yet, place yourself into the chair of malicious person attempting to code viruses and malware, adware *(you get the picture) - What would you ensure your virus can do? Make it past / through many of the Major Virus protection hurdles, thus by-passing the most commonly used. You can obtain a trial version of most - so give it a try if you are in the market for a good set of protection tools that won't bog down your beast.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Especially when loaded up with crap like McAfee, the biggest memory and processor hog ever.

I have to recant my comments about Lenovo - We recently purchased a Lenovo Carbon refurbished machine from Amazon.de and wow -that thing is an ultra-light beast of a machine. I am truly impressed - however - Lenovo still has some "not-so-good" PCs out there, but don't they all.

Afy

I have to recant my comments about Lenovo - We recently purchased a Lenovo Carbon refurbished machine from Amazon.de and wow -that thing is an ultra-light beast of a machine. I am truly impressed - however - Lenovo still has some "not-so-good" PCs out there, but don't they all.
Unfortunately mine isn't a Carbon. It just is a piece of crap that is tightly locked down, that I cant even apply patches to upgrade it to 1703. It by and large just gathers dust.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately mine isn't a Carbon. It just is a piece of crap that is tightly locked down, that I cant even apply patches to upgrade it to 1703. It by and large just gathers dust.

Pardon me - but why is it "locked down" - is it a work PC on a network?

Afy

Yup work issued laptop. I would never buy one for myself. Have always had bad experiences with the brand, especially on warranty.
Luckily I can use any of the other laptops I have for work as well. So I primarily use either the SP4 or SB2 now.