What's new

Using my Surface 3 as display

I'm thinking of using my surface 3 in my truck as an information display. I would mount the docking station and plug it in to a 120v converter. I would use an OBD2 usb cable to the docking station.

Should this work well? Has anyone done this with a surface?

Plantje

I use my Surface 3 in the car. At least 2 hours a day. Works like a charm! Connecting to obd would be nice

OP
B

brocharlieb

I use my Surface 3 in the car. At least 2 hours a day. Works like a charm! Connecting to obd would be nice
I'm assuming that for a couple of hours you don't charge in the car. I'm looking at 500miles a day. It'll have to be charging part of that.

Plantje

True, I don't need to charge it. If you do, make sure you test the power converter thoroughly. I've seen some strange behaviour while charging in the car and on the train

OP
B

brocharlieb

True, I don't need to charge it. If you do, make sure you test the power converter thoroughly. I've seen some strange behaviour while charging in the car and on the train
Since I'm using the docking station as the charger, are you aware of any specific requirements for a 12v to 110v adapter?

Plantje

Nope, sorry... would think that a general car parts shop in the US must have a converter like that as well