What's new

Using Skype as a telephone on the surface pro 2--constant notification mode?

Porcupine pie

I am interested in purchasing the surface pro 2 but there is a big question.
I use Skype as my telephone only so I always want the surface pro 2 to be able to receive a Skype call and be constantly on.

When the surface pro 2 goes into sleep mode, does it wake up when someone calls me on Skype?
What settings should I use so I get the same " always on " notifications stability like on an iPad?

kundas1

That's a really good question, I would like to know that also for my Surface 2, as I would like to use it for calls more just for the fun factors lol also how does one set up Skype to receive calls?

mennogreg

I haven't used Skype yet, because the person I'm talking to overseas uses Viber, which I have running in the background/lock screen. I have never had my Surface Pro wake from sleep to give status notifications. I have only received them when it's on (or when the display is off, but Pro still running). I don't think it has that capability, at least currently.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 2 is capable of doing what you ask as it is a Connected Standby Machine (Like a cell phone), the Surface Pro or Pro 2 would need to be set not to Sleep as it doesn't have the ability to use Connected Standby.

I use Skype's Enterprise Cousin Lync as my work phone and functions like a cell phone...

kundas1

Then can you explain how to set up Skype to receive calls? Would be very appreciated... thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you've given Skype permission to run under the Lock Screen and show notifications when someone calls you it will ring (assuming the volume is turned up) and will allow you to answer the call. These are set in the Modern UI App under Settings....Permissions

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They call your Skype Account, you for a price can call phone numbers but I don't think phones can call directly to Skype...

beq

I'd gotten all family members skype phone numbers and skype premium years ago (as well as google voice, magicjack, nettalk, sip providers, and stuff like rebtel and skype saved numbers, etc). The hardest part was just looking for numbers that were the closest match to everyone's existing phone numbers -- so many permutations and the number search acquisition function at these services are often not user friendly...

Turns out most family members don't even use any of them, and I'm still paying for all of these per year, grrr.

Now I'm also trying to get all the family members to use Lync, simply because it came with all our O365 ProPlus and Enterprise plan subscriptions that we use for home -- long story, but one reason is that Outlook from the O365 Home Premium (which I had already purchased as well!) doesn't support Exchange Online's In-Place Archive. Guess I just wanted to feel like we're getting our money's worth, haha.

Last edited:
OP
P

Porcupine pie

Then can you explain how to set up Skype to receive calls? Would be very appreciated... thanks

I pay $60 a year. 30 dollars for a yearly Skype number and 30 dollars for Skype premium. There is a 50% price reduction that comes out to $60 when you buy both. Go to the website and sign up. Using Skype as your phone works very well.

I actually ported my cell phone number to google voice and now forward that number to my Skype number. This is why I am curious about using the surface pro 2 as my tablet instead of a ipad.