What's new

Using Surface Pro 4 Pen as a mouse in PowerPoint 2016 instead of inking

btreece

This change occurred after the February firmware updates.
I was using the pen as a mouse in Excel (on SP4) prior to that update & now can no longer.
I will upvote this issue as well!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This change occurred after the February firmware updates.
I was using the pen as a mouse in Excel (on SP4) prior to that update & now can no longer.
I will upvote this issue as well!
It happened with the Insider Build in February and the production in March for Office 365

dcoplien

Thanks for pointing this out.
This inking/mouse issue seems to be top on the list. All I could do is to upvote, which is something, but I would prefer to yell a little so I feel like I'm doing something. :>)
You can add your own text instead of just using upvote. There is a button for "add feedback" or some similar wording.
After clicking that:
select "apps and games" from the first drop down list and the office app in the second. Mine was added selecting Excel as the office app

dcoplien

With Office 365 (2016) this no longer applies and it drives me nuts

from Office Help

"This feature is only available if you have an Office 365 subscription. If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office....."

"....Note: If you're using an active pen or stylus, inking will still be active as long as you're using the pen or stylus—even after picking Select Objects."
You can now turn off "draw". In excel choose "select" and you are back to being able to use the stylus as a mouse. Meant to post this awhile ago and plumb forgot. Was very happy to see they brought it back.

edalsie

You can now turn off "draw". In excel choose "select" and you are back to being able to use the stylus as a mouse. Meant to post this awhile ago and plumb forgot. Was very happy to see they brought it back.
I'm using PowerPoint... and just tried it... yes, it works now!! Great!
BUT... I had to re-select 'Draw>Select' EACH TIME I moved on to a different slide.
It's better than nothing though.
Thanks for passing this along.

dcoplien

I'm using PowerPoint... and just tried it... yes, it works now!! Great!
BUT... I had to re-select 'Draw>Select' EACH TIME I moved on to a different slide.
It's better than nothing though.
Thanks for passing this along.
Well that's the pits.