What's new

Using the Surface Pro 3 to develop software

nilsk123

I plan on buying the surface pro 3 i5 with 8 gb of ram this upcoming week. As a student in software development, I want to use it to create c# applications using visual studio and java apps using netbeans and eclipse. I'm also going to be developing for mobile phones and tablets.

Before I shell out 1500 euros, is there anything i should know about the surface that might be an issue? For example, I have read about hyper v disabling the connected stand by mode.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Nothing you have listed that you plan to use the Surface Pro should be impacted by what you have been reading. Several forum member here are using their Surface for similar purposes. In short, don't look for problems. ;)

MiloTheGreat

Yes, one thing.

The function keys are a slight pain in the rear. If you like to listen to music the play/pause doubles on the F5 function key. Home is F9, End is F10, Pgup is F11, Pgdn is F12, possibly the most used keys in Visual studio.

Apart from that.... no.

Function lock with Fn+Caps lock.

malberttoo

Yes, one thing.

The function keys are a slight pain in the a*se. If you like to listen to music the play/pause doubles on the F5 function key. Home is F9, End is F10, Pgup is F11, Pgdn is F12, possibly the most used keys in Visual studio.

Apart from that.... no.

Function lock with Fn+Caps lock.

There is a key combination that permanently switches the FN key on.

unruledboy

i am also a c# developer, visual studio may enable hyper-v, battery drain maybe fast, other than that, all good.

welcome aboard and happy coding

Last edited:

mahdi75

As for Fn key issues, I use AutoHotKey to have all of necessary keys. F5, Home, End, etc.

I'm a C# programmer too, and I have i5/256 SP3.

Samstables

Thank you! This has been bugging me for AGES - my cat stood on the keyboard at somepoint and locked Fn but I couldn't undo it (I use the functions way more frequently than F keys I've discovered!)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If only there was software that allowed us to customise which keys acted as function keys, and which act as F keys. I use F4+5 constantly, the other 10 though, couldn't care less, and most of those remaining F keys all contain functions i'd regularly use. Maybe MS will sort something in the future.