What's new

Using touch input with remote desktop connection manager

buckstar

Just purchased my surface pro 3 and think it is a wonderful device. I tried using my surface to remote into our EHR using the Remote Desktop app, but found it difficult to use due to the lack of hiDPI scaling, so I found the remote desktop connection manager 2.2, which scales perfectly. What I can't do is use the connection full screen and access the touch keyboard or handwriting recognition. I can use it non-full screen and access the keyboard icon from the task bar, but then I'm using scroll bars to access the remote computers entire screen. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a work-around.

It amazes me that the remote desktop connection scales hiDPI displays perfectly on my retina macbook pro, but not on Microsofts own products!

OP
B

buckstar

Thanks ctitanic - that's what I'm using to get the scaling correct, and it works great. What I can't figure out is how to get the touch keyboard on the screen when in full screen mode.

Using the Metro app, I can swipe up front the bottom of the screen to access the keyboard, but the scaling makes working on the screen itself difficult. Using the Remote Desktop Manager 2.2 application, the scaling is perfect, but I can't access the touch keyboard or handwriting recognition screen.

ctitanic

Thanks ctitanic - that's what I'm using to get the scaling correct, and it works great. What I can't figure out is how to get the touch keyboard on the screen when in full screen mode.
You can't, but what I do is to pin to task bar on the RD the OSK.

ctitanic

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

bluegrass

I was interested in trying to duplicate your problem. I think I have the scaling problem when I remote into my desktop computer at work using my Surface. Does the device you remote into from your Surface have touch & or pen capability. I'm not sure what you would do with a pen if you remote into a computer that doesn't support it. Same with the keyboard. Does the device that you remote into have a screen keyboard. Sorry to be confused but I'm just learning how to remote into my work computer from at home and had the scaling problem myself. The work computer could fill up my Surface screen but all the objects were really small.

ctitanic

I see- thanks for the detailed reply.

So there is no way to get the handwriting input up on the screen short of using the charms-->keyboard-->touch input, which is too many steps to be practical?

I appreciate your expertise and help
If you use Mocha VNC there is a a bar with a button for the keyboard.
Capture.JPG

OP
B

buckstar

I was interested in trying to duplicate your problem. I think I have the scaling problem when I remote into my desktop computer at work using my Surface. Does the device you remote into from your Surface have touch & or pen capability. I'm not sure what you would do with a pen if you remote into a computer that doesn't support it. Same with the keyboard. Does the device that you remote into have a screen keyboard. Sorry to be confused but I'm just learning how to remote into my work computer from at home and had the scaling problem myself. The work computer could fill up my Surface screen but all the objects were really small.

To get rid of the scaling problem, use the remote desktop connection manager as ctitanic posted above - it's a separate download from what you already have.

As for using the pen capability, I am using an EHR and while most of the fields I have to fill out are point and click, there are still times when I want to free text. If I'm on my tablet, I need someway to input the text, and for me the easiest way (without a keyboard) is to use the "writing recognition" pane.

I am going to try the Mocha VNC ctitanic suggested and will post my results.