What's new

Solved Using Windows 8.1 recovery to roll back from W10

Hi all,

I installed the 10240 build of Windows 10 on my SP3, now I want to go back to Windows 8.1 until 29th July. I have downloaded and built a Win 8.1 recovery drive onto a USB drive, turned off bitlocker and set the BIOS boot order to USB>SSD so I can boot from my recovery drive and re-install 8.1. Problem is that I can't seem to get 8.1 to install - each time I try to boot off the USB drive I get the blue windows screen with "choose language" >'Choose keyboard layout" then the options to boot to W10, use a device, troubleshoot. I've tried to select "use a device" and then select the USB recovery drive but it simply reboots my SP3 and then I arrive back at the same options again.. choose language etc..

There has to be a way I can reinstall from the USB drive and blow away Windows 10 .. any ideas ? Have I missed a step ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure the USB Drive is formatted FAT32....the easiest way is from Update and Recovery and go to Advanced Boot Options and choose USB Drive....

OP

Figured the problem out. It was the presence of an SD card in the SP3 memory card slot. No matter what I did with boot drives I couldn't get the SP3 to boot from USB, removed the SD card and problem solved. Talk about finicky.