What's new

VERY Choppy Streaming Video on Surface RT!

rdunlap

I just got a new Surface RT 64GB yesterday and started it up and went through all the tons of updates that needed to be done. I went to a couple sites and played some videos right on the sites and to my disappointment the videos were VERY choppy. Like sound did not match the video at all and it was so choppy bad. I tried at my rents house too just to see if it was the connection and it did the same thing. Video plays perfectly on all my other devices.

Has anyone had this issue. and what was the fix for this?

I made sure nothing was running in the background and like I said, it is brand new so not sure why it is doing this. It also didn't matter if it was full screen or not.

Thanks in advance!

beman39

First off, where are you trying to stream from? Could be a web related problem and you're blaming the surface, I stream all over and don't have a stuttering/choppy playback. Also it could be other factors and none of them have to do with the RT...

OP
R

rdunlap

Nfl.com, yahoo, msn just to name a couple. Like I said before, I've tried it on other devices and it streams just fine this is why I've come to the conclusion that it's the surface. Makes sense, right?

Also, like I've said before, I tried it on different connections as well and same thing.

beman39

Another question are you using the desktop IE version or tile version? I find the tile version is more finicky than the desktop version...try using the desktop IE version see if that helps

Last edited:

beman39

Ok I just tried nfl and msn I use all the time and I have no troubles watching the vids...can you try an internet speed test on your RT and post back the results

Edit and use the desktop IE to do the test

Last edited:
OP
R

rdunlap

I am getting 16.41Mbps down and 1.50Mbps up. This seems to be plenty fast. The website of the test was choppy as well, even though it came back with those great speed results

FFX

Have never had problems like you describe. Are you sure all of the updates have been installed. Try rebooting one more time, and search for updates.

Omni

Is your surface up-to-date? Mine was choppy when I first got it but that was fixed in a update.

OP
R

rdunlap

Yes, I used in IE on the desktop. And yes, I've been through several update options but still did not fix it and there are none left to do :-/

Omni

Go to the control panel in desktop mode. Theres a Flash option in System and security. Delete everything you can in there and then try again.