What's new

Very Dissatisfied With SP4

bsnguy

Updates, today, have no new WiFi stuff in them that I can tell. Save version of drivers before/after the update.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
After 10 days of the SP4, I can't take it anymore.

My Surface Pro 4 is a joke...even after doing the 11-2-15 update and I check multiple times a day for updates hoping for fixes. After 10 days, I can't even use it anymore. Outlook 2016 suddenly won't open after a sudden BSOD which happens frequently.

Wireless range is not very good.... my wife's new Dell E7450 has great connection in the other room while my SP4 connection is almost non-existent and drops. I ended up buying a second Netgear R7000, both configured as access points in our house configured with the same SSID's, same passwords, different channels and my wife's laptop will switch automatically between the two AP's for the strongest signal....the SP4 just stays connected at 40 Mbps to the weakest AP...won't automatically switch. I guess that's what we get with the horrible and cheap Marvel wireless chipset. For MS flagship they should be using Intel.

Light bleed at the bottom of the screen.

Random popping sounds from the audio.

I can't un-dock the SP4 and re-dock it with out rebooting because the screen flickers non-stop even after doing the 11-2-15 update.

My touch screen suddenly stops responding so I attach my Type Cover, which I like, to finish my work so that I don't lose hours of research by manually rebooting right away.

Our Surface Pro 3's had some issues when they came out, but this is HORRIBLE! I bought the SP4 to replace my office PC and SP3 and this thing is going back....it's junk.

I tried, Microsoft failed.

I was an strong advocate for the Surface Pro 4 until about 15 days ago. I go to turn my machine on and the "Surface Logo" is flickering. Grrreat!!!!!!! So once I am logged into Windows 10, its flickering even worse. I hook it up to an external monitor and there is NO FLICKERING!!! Woot-Woot!! Right? - Nope! The HDMI fails after about 5 minutes of use and drops completely. I then call MicroDUD and they are soooo elated to point out my warranty expired 11 days ago. I am being serious - the MircoDud Service Tech was more than happy to rub it in my face. My German wife hears this over the speakerphone, and jumps on in! Thank God - My wife then points out that we bought it in Germany and by German law all items have an automatic 2 year warranty. Were that LAW not in place, I would have been hosed. 11 days - $2000+ REALLY MICROSOFT????

I will never purchase another Microsoft item again, no-way, no-how. I have had better results from a wide variety of companies, but NOT with these Clowns. After gaining a reluctant RMA Number and a printable shipping label, its off to the pile of junked machines, and in with someone else's Junked out machine. I wish I knew how much it would have cost me if I did not have the two year warranty. From now on, whenever I buy a new electronic device, I will fork out the additional cost for the 2-5 year in-house warranty in which they replace it, no questions asked.

Thanks for letting me rant - feel free to delete my disgruntled post.

Well, I can definitely sympathize with your situation.

However, I really can't blame MS or any other company for following the warranty period. I know yours was ONLY 11 days past but what about 15 days? 27 days? When would it be fair for a company to honor their warranty?

I know a lot of companies offer good-will gesture and fix products even after the warranty has expired. But how many days after the warranty expires seems a tricky situation to make everyone happy.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I can definitely sympathize with your situation.

However, I really can't blame MS or any other company for following the warranty period. I know yours was ONLY 11 days past but what about 15 days? 27 days? When would it be fair for a company to honor their warranty?

I know a lot of companies offer good-will gesture and fix products even after the warranty has expired. But how many days after the warranty expires seems a tricky situation to make everyone happy.

Obviously it's two years for the German Microsoft, (and the Germans). I would say on a $2000 product, two years seems about fair. I sure am happy about it, and thankful its in place. Microsoft had no problems telling me it was past its warranty coverage date when I called, but they had to swallow a pill on that one. Yay

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it worked - I sent off my faulty Surface Pro 4 and less than a week later - I have either what appears to be a brand new one, or a very well refurbished one. I have seen refurbished ones and when a machine does not glue / compress the screen into the body, you get a wavy appearance along the edges (gorilla glass waves). Anyhow - so far so good and minus Microsoft trying to get out of their end of the deal, it went well. So far, zero issues. Knocking on wood as I type.

Turbo4AWD

....Creator's Update today....unless you already downloaded the ISO earlier this week and installed it....hoping for fixes there...