What's new

Very excited about Steam Stream

irogos

I didn't know that this existed yet. If you happen to own any games on steam you have to try it out once you get your Surface 3.

I tried it today on my 13" macbook pro using my alienware alpha as the host computer. I was able to stream really graphically intensive games that my macbook wouldn't be able to handle. I am really looking forward to doing this on the Surface 3.

For me, this pretty much eliminates any care about the Surface 3 not being able to play games since I can just use Steam Stream to play stuff if I want.

*As soon as I get the Surface 3 on tuesday, I will post some videos of gaming on it using Steam Stream.

Timmy bolt

I'm hoping this works well too, but will wait and see, I'm not convinced it has the power to keep up with it all. Fingers crossed.

I'll hold onto my surface pro 2 if it doesn't.

icon123

Depending on how Steam streams the content, it could be as simple as streaming a movie. I think the Xbox One says as long as your stream to device can support hardware h264, it would play fine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried it a while back on my sp3. Sure it was a pretty cool way of getting higher end games on a lower end system, but the issue for me that it was just too laggy to consider viable for any actually decent games. that and i don't know why i'd bother playing a game on a 12" display when it is being streamed from a machine plugged into a 42" display. If you could do remote streaming from 100 miles away, now that would be far more beneficial to me :))

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried it a while back on my sp3. Sure it was a pretty cool way of getting higher end games on a lower end system, but the issue for me that it was just too laggy to consider viable for any actually decent games. that and i don't know why i'd bother playing a game on a 12" display when it is being streamed from a machine plugged into a 42" display. If you could do remote streaming from 100 miles away, now that would be far more beneficial to me :))
Not sure how that 100 miles plays into it from your perspective but that would only increase the lag. Hard to imagine how that doesn't impact your game play, even a few milliseconds might be the difference between you shooting your target or them shooting you. When quick reaction is required any delay could be significant.

Maybe if you're just flying an air balloon a couple milliseconds wont matter much most of the time. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how that 100 miles plays into it from your perspective but that would only increase the lag. Hard to imagine how that doesn't impact your game play, even a few milliseconds might be the difference between you shooting your target or them shooting you. When quick reaction is required any delay could be significant.

Maybe if you're just flying an air balloon a couple milliseconds wont matter much most of the time. :)

It was two independant points. One was lag, the other was my perceived usefulness of the service.

My point being that in-home streaming holds little appeal to me as it just doesn't make much sense to go out of my way to use a smaller screen (kinda bought a gaming pc and fancy screen for a reason..), but that if i could stream from my machine 100 miles away i would see the value in it. This is not anything to do with lag, just the usefulness of the service (to me). Kind of like Nvidias grid cloud gaming.