What's new

very slow on startup

erik braun

I have sp4 i5/8/256 and it takes really long time to start up. Way langer thans my sp3 used to do. Anyone else experience this?

leeshor

I'm at <13 seconds to full desktop. How long is yours taking and what do you have loaded/installed that starts up with the OS?

robertcan

My SP4 is blazing fast on start up. So much so that I never bother to utilize SLEEP. It's the fastest loading device I own. I'm amazed that it gets to full desktop in 13-14 secs, and that includes loading Dropbox, OneDrive and iCloud.

nuttyone

My SP4 is super quick as well, as long as ....

1) the keyboard is not flipped back, or
2) I have no usb drives plugged in.

Otherwise it takes much longer, but still bearable.

Garyjk

you can check the log and see if there is anything causing it.
right click this pc and choose manage or right click start, choose run and enter compmgmt.msc
expand event viewer/ application and service logs/ Microsoft/ windows/ diagnostics-performance/ operational
check the boot performance monitoring entries, see if any are critical.
if not, you can still check the individual entries. just click to highlight and then in the lower pane, select the details tab.
look for anything taking a long time. the durations are in milliseconds, so add a decimal 3 places from the right to get the number of seconds

OP
E

erik braun

Just tested it and I think you are right. My slow times are result of power button not always responding. When it reponds, it is quick.

ac_wmcaa

I also have the same problem when the type cover is fold back. Once the type cover is detached, the problem is gone. Any solution so far?

OP
E

erik braun

I am not experiencing any problems with startup at this moment. It is fine. It does not depend on the type cover. Startup is really quick with windows hello, btw