What's new

Very strange pen behavior (Video included)

mt6272

Has anyone had this issue? The pen will randomly start having inconsistent input. Sometimes it doesn't recognize at all, and other times it will shoot inking downwards. The eraser works very sporadically and sometimes not at all also. It's weird because this problem can go away for hours or even days, then come up again. Some things I have tried are changing power source, unplugging power, removing battery and reinserting battery into pen, touching pen to screen then inserting battery, 2 button reset, factory restore (to a point where the issue didn't occur), changing pen batteries, buying a replacement pen. Nothing seems to fix this other than it fixing itself sometimes. I will gladly try anything you guys suggest to fix this.

Update: I discovered I only have this issue with my palm touching the screen. If you're able to help me figure this issue out, it's probably going to be a fix that addresses repairing palm-rejection functionality.

Last edited:

rquellet

Has anyone had this issue? The pen will randomly start having inconsistent input. Sometimes it doesn't recognize at all, and other times it will shoot inking downwards. The eraser works very sporadically and sometimes not at all also. It's weird because this problem can go away for hours or even days, then come up again. Some things I have tried are changing power source, unplugging power, removing battery and reinserting battery into pen, touching pen to screen then inserting battery, 2 button reset, factory restore (to a point where the issue didn't occur), changing pen batteries, buying a replacement pen. Nothing seems to fix this other than it fixing itself sometimes. I will gladly try anything you guys suggest to fix this.

I'm having the same problems with my surface and Onenote 2013. Removing the pen battery sometimes fixes it for a while. Let me know if the calibration mentioned above works for you.

OP
M

mt6272

Not sure what's happening but I keep on getting this message when I try to install that calibration tool.

upload_2015-2-21_16-46-25.png

sdreamer

That seems very weird indeed. It looks like from the video it is going between pen input and erase. First thing that comes to mind is the eraser button is broken causing it to be loose in a fashion and accidently be triggered. However you started you got a new pen. Another thing that comes to mind is a weak battery, again you stated you got a new pen and battery. The only options I can think of are: 1) You happened to get a faulty battery and a faulty pen maybe with a faulty battery, 2) Digitizer on the devices is malfunctioning, 3) It could be because of location or other EMF devices in the vicinity. I'm leaning towards 2. Might want to just warranty the entire thing and see if MS will just swap it out at a store hopefully.

OP
M

mt6272

I have just made a new discovery. Everything works perfect when my Palm is not resting while writing. A-ha! Faulty palm rejection. Going to look into stuff like drivers affecting that functionality and decreasing touch sensitivity. I will update if I figure it out. In the mean time if anyone has had palm rejection issues let me know what solution you employed.

OP
M

mt6272

Disabled the touch screen through device manager, still have the problem mostly just when palm is rested on the device. Pretty weird.... thought this might fix my issue temporarily.

ctitanic

Why would you suggest using a Sony utility to calibrate an MS machine? The page even lists specific device models the utility will run on and not surprisingly, SP3 is not one of them. SP3 already has its own built in calibration tool in the hardware section.
That tool was made by Ntrig. That's why.