What's new

Very Unhappy :(

Jasmine

I don't see how this tablet is getting great reviews. After everything I went through to get it, I can't stand the thing. It's on my last nerves. :mad:

Nearly all of the programs I've installed have had issues - Skype has a blurry font and looks like crap, and iTunes has the same issue, Photoshop CC is just way too tiny to use, etc... I can't even get font sizes correctly in Firefox!

Not only that but the keyboard is annoying as heck!
I've seen others flip the keyboard behind the tablet - that is supposed to be doable, right? My keyboard keeps snapping off. :mad: And a second ago, it completely stopped working, even though I'd connected it again.

I also had a battery related issue earlier... I noticed that it was stuck at 98% and then realized it didn't think my charger was connected. After restarting once or twice (I don't remember which), it said "Fully charged". I've been watching the battery closely since then.

I was really excited for this tablet and Windows 8.1 in general, but at this point... I'd rather go back to my 8.9'' Acer netbook. :mad:
I like the idea of having a tablet and a laptop, but this just doesn't seem like one to me. :(

/rant over :(

People seem to like it a lot... How have they not encountered these issues? I've seen digital artists talk about using Photoshop on it, but I don't see how...

Last edited:
OP
J

Jasmine

Yes, that is an option I'm considering. But if others have been able to use the same programs I use perfectly fine, I'm wondering why I'm having issues.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you installed all of the Firmware Updates? It sounds like you have the Type Cover 2, which is stiffer and does tend pop off when folded back. The Touch Cover 2 does fold back. As far as legacy Win32 Applications, most are not high DPI aware and don't scale well, the best thing to do is right click the .exe and on the Compatibility Tab check the box to disable scaling. Are you using the Modern UI Skype or Desktop Version of Skype?

Another option is to set the DPI Slider to "Smaller" (which is 100%) if your eyes can handle it, I've done this because I'm able to use it due to my multi-focal Contact Lenses.

LuckyL

no firmware update will address the scaling artifacts you have on a 10" Screen running on a 1080p resolution. Whether Surface 2, Surface Pro 2 or Yoga 2. If that's an issue the best recommendation is to get a device that can be run on 100% magnification.

OP
J

Jasmine

Have you installed all of the Firmware Updates? It sounds like you have the Type Cover 2, which is stiffer and does tend pop off when folded back. The Touch Cover 2 does fold back. As far as legacy Win32 Applications, most are not high DPI aware and don't scale well, the best thing to do is right click the .exe and on the Compatibility Tab check the box to disable scaling. Are you using the Modern UI Skype or Desktop Version of Skype?

Another option is to set the DPI Slider to "Smaller" (which is 100%) if your eyes can handle it, I've done this because I'm able to use it due to my multi-focal Contact Lenses.

No, my SP2 hasn't detected any updates. Would you have a link?

And yes, I do have the Type Cover 2.
I did disable scaling on Skype, but it's still blurry. I tried everything, but literally nothing helped. I also changed the icon/text size to 100%, but that made everything too small. I couldn't read any text.

By the way, I'm using the 64-bit versions of Photoshop and iTunes.

D

Deleted member 10837

The large library of desktop applications for Windows is a double edged sword. They are a main selling point for mobile Windows devices but the majority were not designed for touch input or Windows upscaling.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No, my SP2 hasn't detected any updates. Would you have a link?

And yes, I do have the Type Cover 2.
I did disable scaling on Skype, but it's still blurry. I tried everything, but literally nothing helped. I also changed the icon/text size to 100%, but that made everything too small. I couldn't read any text.

By the way, I'm using the 64-bit versions of Photoshop and iTunes.

I would first, abandon the desktop version of Skype and switch to the Modern UI version from the Store. iTunes is one of the most poorly coded applications ever created by a top tier company, not sure there is much to fix that one....

Photoshop was not coded for High DPI Screens, many artist are using ArtDock (checkout the Microsoft Forum at http://forums.tabletpcreview.com for details, they also have an Artist's forum under professions).

For Windows Update, run the desktop version and check there.

OP
J

Jasmine

I would first, abandon the desktop version of Skype and switch to the Modern UI version from the Store. iTunes is one of the most poorly coded applications ever created by a top tier company, not sure there is much to fix that one....

Photoshop was not coded for High DPI Screens, many artist are using ArtDock (checkout the Microsoft Forum at http://forums.tabletpcreview.com for details, they also have an Artist's forum under professions).

For Windows Update, run the desktop version and check there.

I tried it, but being notified of when someone logs on and/or sends me a message is pretty important to me. The app didn't do that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really don't want to return it and all the accessories I bought, but it looks like I might have to. :(

macmee

I tried it, but being notified of when someone logs on and/or sends me a message is pretty important to me. The app didn't do that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I really don't want to return it and all the accessories I bought, but it looks like I might have to. :(

You could return the Surface Pro 2 and get a Windows tablet that doesn't have a 1080 display. This would fix the blurry issues you're having.

The Dell Venue 8 comes with an Atom CPU but it does include office!

Last edited by a moderator:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Skype Modern App will notify you if you let run in the background.

OP
J

Jasmine

You could return the Surface Pro 2 and get a Windows tablet that doesn't have a 1080 display. This would fix the blurry issues you're having.

The Dell Venue 8 comes with an Atom CPU but it does include office!

I prefer something with larger space (I have the 256GB version of SP2), but it might be a good alternative. Thank you :)

Skype Modern App will notify you if you let run in the background.

But I had it running in the background, yet I didn't receive any notifications until I opened the app again... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: