What's new

Solved Video from SP3 to Xbox One?

raqball

I am still learning Windows after a long hiatus. I have an Xbox One even though I don't really play any games. My reason for the Xbox One is for the TV and video streaming features like Netflix, YouTube ect.

Now my question. I have other sites I visit (podcasts mainly) that do not have apps for the Xbox. I know I can use the Xbox IE to visit the site and then run the video but the Xbox IE is clunky and cumbersome.

Is there a way to visit a site on the SP3 and stream the video directly to the Xbox One?

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question. As a long time Mac / Apple user I previously could AirPlay from my MacBook to the Apple TV so I am pretty sure there has to be a way to do it with the SP3 and the Xbox One.

daniielrp

^This. Practically the same as AirPlay.

Start video on SP3, then swipe open charms, go to Devices>Play To> Xbox One.

The video app should then open on the Xbone, and start playing the vid.

OP
raqball

raqball

My Xbox One does not show. When I try to add a device it says nothing found. Oddly, the Xbox shows up in the SmartGlass app

daniielrp

My Xbox One does not show. When I try to add a device it says nothing found. Oddly, the Xbox shows up in the SmartGlass app

Check that your Xbox is allowing media connections.

Go to settings then preferences and just make sure Play To streaming is allowed.

OP
raqball

raqball

Don't know if it matters but SP3 is on AC WiFi and Xbox One is wired..

I think its an issue of the SP3 recognizing the Xbox. When I try to add device in Metro or Desktop it just says nothing found.

I factory reset the Xbox and no dice.

OP
raqball

raqball

Disregard ---> I am a moron.

It was a setting on the SP3 under networking to allow it to find other devices..

Clicked on and boom / jackpot!

Thanks for the help guys!

OP
raqball

raqball

Ok maybe I marked this as solved to soon..

I can get the SP3 to stream video to the Xbox One but it does not stream for very long before it disconnects and starts playing on the SP3.

I've factory reset the SP3 and the Xbox One with no luck. I just tried to stream a 5 minute YouTube video and it cut off after 2 minutes. Previously I've tried several podcast and I get the same result.

If I play video on the SP3 alone, it's fine. If I use the Xbox YouTube app or stream from an Xbox app it's fine. The issue only happens when I stream from the SP3 to the Xbox.

SP3 is connected via 5ghz AC WiFi and the Xbox One is wired. My speed tests show plenty of speed with 24 down and 5 up..

I am pretty sure this should just work but man it's driving me bananas..

Any suggestions?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you live in a densely populated area? Looking at the WiFi Spectrum in your area may allow you to select a channel that doesn't have contention. I stream all the time with the same setup....

OP
raqball

raqball

Yes its a pretty populated area. I looked at other networks in my area and only saw one other 5ghz connection though.

I did change the channel for the 5ghz band and rebooted the router. It still disconnects..

Also audio sync is way off if that helps any.