What's new

Video kills Webex on Surface Book

dgeasan

I'm not able to run Webex on my Surface Book. I am able to start a Webex session and just when the small window appears showing the video option, Webex dies.

I have Webex running on a six year old HP laptop with Windows 10 and Webex runs there no problem.

I have the same AntiVirus software running on both machines and same version of Windows 10.

Has any other Surface Book users encountered this? It seems there is some unique setting to the Surface Book video that is tripping up Webex.

Does anyone know how to define the startup parameters for Webex so that the video is off by default when Webex starts. I cannot find any information on how to set that. I'm assuming that once I successfully start Webex I can set that stuff but alas, I never get that far.

Currently at Windows 10 1704

Nuspieds

WebEx runs perfectly fine for me and always has; no issues whatsoever.

It did it standard install, so I am not aware of any special startup parameter settings. It has just always worked for me as-is.

Have you tried disabling non-MS services, rebooting and then trying WebEx again, just to see if it is conflicting with one of your apps?

OP
D

dgeasan

I have turned off some services but not joy. Seems to be confined to Webex and the Surface Book camera. Team Viewer, GoTo Meeting, and Skype all work with the camera no problem. And like I said Webex works with camera on a different laptop running Windows 10.

schmak01

I know this is an older thread but I am having the same issue with an SB2. I am a remote employee and travel a bit, so I need the camera to work with webex. For smaller meetings, I have been using Teams instead, which works fine with the camera as does Skype, Skype for business, Teamviewer, Discord, et al.

It is definitely a webex issue, but finding a non-internal IT support contact for Webex is next to impossible.

OP
D

dgeasan

Eventually one of the WebEX updates allowed the camera to work. That happened a few weeks after I got the 13 inch SB2. I currently have the 15 inch SB2 and WebEx has always been able to access the camera. So it was something up with the version of WebEX I was running when I first got the 13 inch SB2.

schmak01

I actually got ahold of someone from Cisco. You have to have Webex WBS 33 or higher, Century Link only uses 32. So I am boned until the vendor updates or we move off to another platform. I started using Teams anyway for all my meetings.