What's new

Viewing RAW files

garyd03

Does anyone know if there is an image viewer that will allow me to view RAW files on the RT. Don't want to edit just view after I have shot them. Picture Viewer is great for this but will not run RAW (.nef on my Nikon).

OP
G

garyd03

Are you using the Photos app or file manager. I use a USB - SDHC card reader. Thanks for your help. The Surface Tablet is great for image viewing but always shoot in RAW, have been shooting in RAW and JPEG but its a pain. Use the Fast Stone viewer in W7 / W8.

ArnoldC

On my Surface RT, my photo tools are fotor (or Fhotoroom) for basic editing, which is crop and alignment, SwitchTo:Resize to re-size, WaterMark to put watermarks.

On my Windows 8 (Acer S3), I use Capture NX 2.

On both devices, the Photos app can display NEF files, the File Picker shows NEF files, and of course the File Manager (Desktop) can show NEF files.

OP
G

garyd03

Spoken to MS today and its as I suspected they don't support RAW files from the Nikon D7100 and they have no plans to do so. Well it took Adobe 2 weeks and Apple 3 but I am really disappointed that MS don't get it. That is the problem with the Surface RT most of the apps are a token gesture. The Codec pack they released last year is typical bash it out and dont update it as they can then say they support RAW. Feel cheated.

Neither the photo app or file manager will display these files.

Last edited:

ArnoldC

As I said, just wait. Even DPReview just got their final D7100 review out. It will come.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

OP
G

garyd03

I am not convinced its a priority for MS, all of the noises are its not worth doing as they already have a RAW codec pack. I am now having to look at an i pad as it has apps that run the Nikon D7100 RAW files. Cant carry my laptop and Surface any more. Cant find any apps that run RAW for the Surface other than Photo.