What's new

volume problem persists

kinda hoping the recent round of updates might fix the spontaneous disabling of sound - nope. anybody else still have this problem? am I missing some obvious fix?

J515OP

Super Moderator
I was hopeful since there was an early report that the sound was one item addressed in the update. However, it isn't looking so good for that particular item as having been included. It seems the biggie is the wifi correction patch. I guess that should take precedent over the volume from the speakers if you have to choose which one to correct.

LiTtLe_DaFfOdIl

kinda hoping the recent round of updates might fix the spontaneous disabling of sound - nope. anybody else still have this problem? am I missing some obvious fix?

It's a well know problem with some of the Touch Covers, I am assuming your issue is the same. Just contact Microsoft Support and they will send you a new Touch Cover.
Worked for me, got a new cover within 2 days which solved the problem.
Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

DaFfY

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

It's a well know problem with some of the Touch Covers, I am assuming your issue is the same. Just contact Microsoft Support and they will send you a new Touch Cover.
Worked for me, got a new cover within 2 days which solved the problem.
Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

DaFfY

I didn't know about the Touch Cover issue, I'll contact MS and give this a try. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
Rick Sutliffe

Rick Sutliffe

I didn't know about the Touch Cover issue, I'll contact MS and give this a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Contacted MS Support, spent about an hour on Chat. Couldn't get her to replace the Touch Cover though. She did offer to exchange the entire tablet, but maybe that's overkill for an intermittent problem. Seems like I'm not alone, so possibly MS will fix it in a future update. Not a big deal...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Even stranger they would offer to replace the tablet over the cover given the cost difference in the two when shooting in the dark.

rocketrabbit

Not sure if this is exactly the same problem I'm seeing here, but I'll put it out there anyway...
I have a similar volume problem with my 64GB Surface RT, however the problem is not strictly muting of the sound. When I am playing something on Xbox Music (especially at low volumes, between 0-20ish), the volume seems to spontaneously decrease by quite a significant amount. The music is still audible (if I press my ear to the speakers) i.e. the machine has not muted the sound entirely, and then after a while the volume goes back up again. Then down, and up, and down etc. quite erratically. When I change the volume the sound returns temporarily to normal, but soon the machine goes back into its strange volume-changing mode.
I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the Touch Cover, either, as the problem still occurs with the Touch Cover completely detached. I don't think it's the Xbox Music app that's the problem either, although I haven't yet observed it with the video app. I'm considering that it's a firmware issue, as when I was in speaker properties testing the sound from each of the speakers individually, at times the sound started really quiet and went quickly to normal volume. The way I see it, the problem seems to occur when the volume of music etc. is below a certain level, at which point the machine makes the sound even quieter, and then increases it again when the volume rises again.
Sorry if this isn't the problem you're discussing here, but it seems really quite similar and I thought I might as well ask and see what comes of it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

pallentx

At low volumes, I have intermittent audio drop out when the sound gets quieter - below a certain threshold. When the video or music gets a little louder, the audio will come back.
You can fix this by going into Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game controllers.
Right click NVIDIA Tegra Audio Topology Filter and select properties.
Go to the driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.

They updated the driver to make the speakers louder, but introduced this annoyance in the process. I prefer quieter speakers without the intermittent drop out at low volume.

rocketrabbit

At low volumes, I have intermittent audio drop out when the sound gets quieter - below a certain threshold. When the video or music gets a little louder, the audio will come back.
You can fix this by going into Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game controllers.
Right click NVIDIA Tegra Audio Topology Filter and select properties.
Go to the driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.

They updated the driver to make the speakers louder, but introduced this annoyance in the process. I prefer quieter speakers without the intermittent drop out at low volume.

Works beautifully. Thank you! Like you I also prefer quieter speakers and was quite irritated by the intermittent volume cut-off, so this solution was very welcome. Thanks again for your help!

pallentx

Once you roll back the driver, keep in mind that your Surface will keep trying to apply the newer driver. I haven't figured out yet how to stop that - I just haven't made the effort hoping MS would update again and fix the issue for good.