What's new

Solved Volume Up/Down activates Narrator

FanaticNInja

After a windows update last week, my volume buttons are now linked to the Narrator.

I've tried looking at the easy of access settings, and its off.

I've restarted, I've un-pluged my type cover/etc.. I've pressed the windows button, i dunno how to fix it.

Perplexing, I might just walk into the Microsoft store.

OP
F

FanaticNInja

I actually just fixed it, none of the solutions i found helped, here is what i did:

Open Device Manager
Under Keyboards uninstall all devices
Restart

That fixed it.

malberttoo

I actually just fixed it, none of the solutions i found helped, here is what i did:

Open Device Manager
Restart

That fixed it.

Good job! I saw one other person with this issue not too long ago, but I don't remember that they ever found a solution. Thanks for the tip!

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member

Open Device Manager
Restart

That fixed it.

Thanks for this. I started panicking as my SP3 started doing this late at night, the evening before I wanted to use it to take notes in a day long meeting.

Every time I touched the down volume button it was taking a screen shot and when I touched the up volume button it was turning on Narrator. I didn't want to have my SP3 suddenly reading everything out during a meeting so I panicked a bit!! I initialy thought it was because I had applied a DecalGirl skin which has parts for the edges, I thought it was somehow keeping the power button pressed hence the screenshots.

I discovered this post but not until after I had already ripped two sides of the decal off :-(

Thanks for this, doing what you describe completely fixed the problem, and despite my worries did not cause any problems with the keyboard cover.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cant be sure but I believe I had the issue on my Surface 2 also. It came on at the lock screen after some idle time and was freaking me out. I powered down and restarted and it hasn't come back ... ... yet :)

Perhaps it would be good if MS included a bullet list with links to details of these changes if they are going to incrementally modify stuff at their every whim. Call it the "Who Moved My Cheese (WMMC) list with a link right up front for easy reference. :D

silkrooster

Perhaps it would be good if MS included a bullet list with links to details of these changes if they are going to incrementally modify stuff at their every whim. Call it the "Who Moved My Cheese (WMMC) list with a link right up front for easy reference. :D
I agree Microsoft should spend a bit more time on documentation. Seams like the front web sites have been lacking lately. Though I assume the MSDN site may have a different crew. The data there seams to be more robust.

Haldi

Also had this once ^^

Is there any way to change the function of Windows+VolDown?
Something like Shutdown device would be nice.