What's new

VPN connection problems for many apps

Hans

It is easy enough to connect to a VPN using PPTP or SSTP protocols, and it works well with browser and a number of apps. But a lot of apps display an error message indicating that they think I am not connected to the internet. I never have any problems with the browser, and some apps work after 2 or 3 tries. Any solution to this?

OP
H

Hans

I set up a number of direct connections to different servers from the "set up a virtual private network" setting (IP addresses, etc all provided by the same service) and then click one to connect as needed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a Gateway or DNS issue, are you setup to Split Tunnel, meaning you use your local DNS and Gateway Settings or are you using the Gateway and DNS on the remote Network? These are Settings in the IP v4 of the VPN connection, usually under Advanced Settings.

OP
H

Hans

Thanks for trying to help, will have to check when I get back to the Surface. I left all those settings untouched since I could connect easily.

I see under Network Properties IPv4 the settings are "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically"

Last edited: