What's new

Solved VPN problems

I have two Surface Pro 4 devices and on one I suddenly I cannot connect to my VPN server, but the other is working ok. I tried uninstalling network adapter, uninstalling all WAN miniports, deleting VPN connection and creating it again, but I am still getting this error:

And this is from the log:

Remote Access Event Logs [ Table Of Contents ]
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20001
Date: 6. 06. 2017
Time: 19:34:35
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-xyz
Description:
Cannot load the NetBIOS gateway DLL component because of the following error: wpdfs.inf_amd64_e898714e5623f0fe\wpdfs.inf

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20003
Date: 6. 06. 2017
Time: 19:34:35
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-xyz
Description:
Cannot enumerate Registry key values. WUDFWpdFs

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Eastlunder , let's try to fix this up.

Check the your Aadapter Properties for IPv4 and IPv6 settings. Make sure they are set to obtain IP addresses automatically. If you see an IP address there, and you are not using a static IP address, you have likely found the problem.

VPN connection managers typically cause the adapter to adopt an address (essentially becoming a proxy). Different computers will disconnect/reset the adapters differently, often causing a hang, especially when the VPN is being accessed from within a Wide Area Network.

Let us know if this helps.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay.

Can both computers connect to the Web okay, and do both show the same ping routing?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, thanks.

Can we eliminate differences in your Windows Defender / Firewall / Malwarebytes settings between the two computers?

Malwarebytes was keeping me from VPN connecting while on international travels on one of my Surface Book computers several weeks ago, despite being otherwise configured the same as my other Surface Book.

OP
E

Eastlunder

I found out that "Routing and Remote Access service" is not running on my computer and it cannot be started. Looks like I'll need to reset windows and install and setup everything again:mad:

OP
E

Eastlunder

I did an "upgrade" from bootable USB stick made from official win 10 ISO. Now the issue seems to be gone and VPN is working again.