What's new

Wacom Drivers for the Surface Pro 4

solhawk

Hello friends,

A friend and I are working with a Surface Pro 4, using the standard stylus, Windows 10, and having loaded all the Win10 updates. Also of note on this machine: the latest version of Photoshop with all updates.

What we really want to do is load the Wacom Drivers. According to this page:
Turn your Surface Pro into the perfect Photoshop machine with these tweaks

and many others, one can load Wacom Drivers on a Surface Pro to get added functionality. We've also seen tutorials on YouTube which demonstrate the same. However, once we try to load the drivers, we are told by the installer that the drivers are not compatible with our device.

The Wacom Drivers are important to my friend's work in Photoshop. We have the option to return the device within the next week or so and exchange it for a Surface Pro 3 if required. But it would be a shame to have to do that *just* to get the drivers working.

Is there anyone here who can assist with this very specific question? Thank you kindly for your time.

The Wacom drivers I *think* I need are here (but I am not sure if there are others out there that would work better for the Surface Pro 4):
Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas
The page suggests that the Surface Pro is not supported, but then on the other hand, many online tutorials claim just the opposite.

Thank you kindly,
Sol

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello friends,

A friend and I are working with a Surface Pro 4, using the standard stylus, Windows 10, and having loaded all the Win10 updates. Also of note on this machine: the latest version of Photoshop with all updates.

What we really want to do is load the Wacom Drivers. According to this page:
Turn your Surface Pro into the perfect Photoshop machine with these tweaks

and many others, one can load Wacom Drivers on a Surface Pro to get added functionality. We've also seen tutorials on YouTube which demonstrate the same. However, once we try to load the drivers, we are told by the installer that the drivers are not compatible with our device.

The Wacom Drivers are important to my friend's work in Photoshop. We have the option to return the device within the next week or so and exchange it for a Surface Pro 3 if required. But it would be a shame to have to do that *just* to get the drivers working.

Is there anyone here who can assist with this very specific question? Thank you kindly for your time.

The Wacom drivers I *think* I need are here (but I am not sure if there are others out there that would work better for the Surface Pro 4):
Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas
The page suggests that the Surface Pro is not supported, but then on the other hand, many online tutorials claim just the opposite.

Thank you kindly,
Sol
That article you posted is for the Surface Pro or Pro 2, the Pro 3 and later uses the n-trig digitizer (Microsoft subsequently bought n-trig). If you are looking for WINTAB drivers those can be located here:

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

Click Download and select the WINTAB drivers.

OP
S

solhawk

Thank you for pointing me to the WINTAB drivers. I may give them a try. However, I would still have an interest in loading the Wacom drivers if they can somehow be installed on the Surface Pro 4. Many thanks to anyone who can help! (Or anyone with an SP4 who has been able to verify that this is possible).

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
The SP4 (and SP3) doesn't run a Wacom digitiser, the N-trig digitiser works in a completely different way to Wacom as it uses an active pen where Wacom pens are passive. I wasn't able to load the Wacom driver even when I had a Intuos Pro plugged into my Surface Pro 3.. it still said it wasn't compatible - Windows recognised the Wacom Wifi transmitter but still wouldn't let me load the driver. I guess it would conflict with the display driver for the display itself.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for pointing me to the WINTAB drivers. I may give them a try. However, I would still have an interest in loading the Wacom drivers if they can somehow be installed on the Surface Pro 4. Many thanks to anyone who can help! (Or anyone with an SP4 who has been able to verify that this is possible).
Completely different technology, Wacom Drivers will not work on n-trig digitizers and vice versa. You would need to purchase a Tablet that uses a Wacom Digitizer such as the Wacom Companion Tablet if you want to use the Wacom Drivers.