What's new

wait for the power cover?

oion

Yes, but the Power Cover with backlit capability would be just swell.

Re: Battery life, I posted somewhere as soon as I reached my destination after a 9 hrflight (of which 5 hr 30 mins was spent on the Surface working on a Word document + on an intermittent Chess game with default power settings) + 1 hour 30 min drive to the departing airport + close to 2 hours in a departing airport + 1 hour in the arriving airport + 20 min car drive to the hotel and with the device in "flight mode" all the time, the battery icon read 76%.

On arrival, I quickly connected to the hotel WiFi (unlimited and free, btw!), went for a shower, had a meal, had my first meeting for about 2 hours, worked on some mails, revisited the Word document I was working with on the flight, surfed the nets (reading this forum, among other things) - all of which took another 6 hours or so, and I was down to 34%, which is when I plugged the device in for charging. Note that post arrival, the device was no longer on "flight mode"!

By my reckoning, not too bad!

Yes, and you should specify that you were working on a Surface 2 (the forum mods haven't added 2nd gen to the "My Device" user option settings), and this thread is in Surface Pro, so the battery life is going to be worlds apart... ;) But regardless, the OP says he's fine with his Pro's battery life, which means the whole discussion on the power cover here is kinda moot.

kristalsoldier

Yes, and you should specify that you were working on a Surface 2 (the forum mods haven't added 2nd gen to the "My Device" user option settings), and this thread is in Surface Pro, so the battery life is going to be worlds apart... ;) But regardless, the OP says he's fine with his Pro's battery life, which means the whole discussion on the power cover here is kinda moot.

Yeah... forgot about that... Surface 2! And, forgot about the Pro thread too! Delete this post! Hurry! Oncoming digital contagion!!!

oion

Yeah... forgot about that... Surface 2! And, forgot about the Pro thread too! Delete this post! Hurry! Oncoming digital contagion!!!

Haha, as long as anyone coming by gets that straight.

But we should have checkboxes for the "My Device" user section with the added 2nd gens. :(

mtalinm

Type cover 2 is fabulous. Backlit and just a bit thinner than type cover 1 ... thinner enough that I don't mind folding it around back to use in portrait/tablet mode, whereas type cover 1 was just a bit bulky + it was weird to hit the moving touchpad.

Get it in PURPLE

Dane

I find it curious that, currently, Microsoft lists the Power cover at the same weight as the Type Cover 2 (if you click on "specs")...I wonder if this is a typo??

Touch Cover 2
7.4 x 11.0 in • 2.5 mm
0.42 lbs.

Type Cover 2
7.4 x 10.9 in • 5.0 mm
0.55 lbs.

Power Cover
7.4 x 10.9 in x 9.0 mm
0.55 lbs.

oion

I find it curious that, currently, Microsoft lists the Power cover at the same weight as the Type Cover 2 (if you click on "specs")...I wonder if this is a typo??

Touch Cover 2
7.4 x 11.0 in • 2.5 mm
0.42 lbs.

Type Cover 2
7.4 x 10.9 in • 5.0 mm
0.55 lbs.

Power Cover
7.4 x 10.9 in x 9.0 mm
0.55 lbs.

Definitely a typo, and not the first time on an official Microsoft website, unfortunately. It should be twice as heavy.

Come to think of it, I think the microSD typo was also on the Canadian website...

Dane

Definitely a typo, and not the first time on an official Microsoft website, unfortunately. It should be twice as heavy.

Come to think of it, I think the microSD typo was also on the Canadian website...

What typo was that? (I'm new here)