What's new

wake up problem - thought this is solved?

reach

Hi there!
I currently have two SP2s here. The "old" one and a replacement one from MS. Not sure yet which I shall keep because of another issue.
However... today I noticed that the old one wakes up from sleep by itself.
I checked the sys logs and found I have exactly this issue: After December updates, my Surface Pro 2 is waking from sleep on - Microsoft Community

Now that surprises me. I thought after the broken December update, they fixed the online update and so, after a factory restore the SP2 should be fine again. But the answer from MS in the above link is from 19.12., long after I was told the broken update is fixed.
The "new" one has exactly the same firmware drivers (all 4 items) and doesn't do that.

Does anybody know what's going on? Does the issue really only affect some devices? Did they fix anything, or not?

Cheers!
reach

Hi there!
I currently have two SP2s here. The "old" one and a replacement one from MS. Not sure yet which I shall keep because of another issue.
However... today I noticed that the old one wakes up from sleep by itself.
I checked the sys logs and found I have exactly this issue: After December updates, my Surface Pro 2 is waking from sleep on - Microsoft Community

Now that surprises me. I thought after the broken December update, they fixed the online update and so, after a factory restore the SP2 should be fine again. But the answer from MS in the above link is from 19.12., long after I was told the broken update is fixed.
The "new" one has exactly the same firmware drivers (all 4 items) and doesn't do that.

Does anybody know what's going on? Does the issue really only affect some devices? Did they fix anything, or not?

Cheers!
reach

Still not fixed, same problem here and all you can do is wait for Jan 2014 fix, change your power options to hibernate/power off when you close lid/power button or send it in for a replacement that never got the botched December firmware. It wakes exactly one hour from putting to sleep, weird!

OP
R

reach

Still not fixed, same problem here and all you can do is wait for Jan 2014 fix, change your power options to hibernate/power off when you close lid/power button or send it in for a replacement that never got the botched December firmware. It wakes exactly one hour from putting to sleep, weird!

Oh yes, indeed, it's on the second exactly 1hour! Didn't notice this before.
So, do you know for sure if it's a matter of the device having seen the botched firmware once? I mean, is it confirmed by MS? Knowing above it doesn't matter any more, but I'm just curious.

Oh yes, indeed, it's on the second exactly 1hour! Didn't notice this before.
So, do you know for sure if it's a matter of the device having seen the botched firmware once? I mean, is it confirmed by MS? Knowing above it doesn't matter any more, but I'm just curious.

yes it is indeed the botched December firmware, MS confirmed and will send you out a new unit if you choose not to wait for the Jan update

mtalinm

It even wakes from hibernate. Hibernate mine last night with 80% left, picked it up this afternoon and it's at 10%. POS

mtalinm

I hope the engineers who released this botched update are all enjoying their Christmas holiday. This is one of the things wrong with Microsoft - they tolerate incompetence. SJ wouldn't let this sort of thing happen.

Jesse

Not to defend MS because the first broken firmware shouldn't have been released. However once the problem was found it does take time to find the problem, figure out how to fix it and make sure it doesn't break anything else. I would much rather it took them another week or two than to release another broken firmware update. The worst thing to happen would be to release something that bricks a large percentage of devices.

Not to defend MS because the first broken firmware shouldn't have been released. However once the problem was found it does take time to find the problem, figure out how to fix it and make sure it doesn't break anything else. I would much rather it took them another week or two than to release another broken firmware update. The worst thing to happen would be to release something that bricks a large percentage of devices.

Imagine a botched pre Christmas firmware update for the XBOX One, Microsoft's stock price would plummet. Too bad they don't have that level of QC with the Surface.

rubaxter

I hope the engineers who released this botched update are all enjoying their Christmas holiday. This is one of the things wrong with Microsoft - they tolerate incompetence. SJ wouldn't let this sort of thing happen.

On the one hand, Jobs DID tolerate even worse, viz the various antenna debacles on iPhones.

On the other, I used to recommend the Surface because it was a 'serious' tablet while the iPad is just the nozzle on the end of the iTunes garden hose (iTunes being a somewhat manure-covered garden hose, which a recent convert from the last remaining Zune, here, is now finding out).

However, so much for my ever again trotting out the Company Line on the Surface being a 'serious' alternative as MS doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency in fixing this problem, which after the 'brick your RT' issue points to a very amateur organization.

I've left my SP2 deliberately turned Off, lying on a desk with a folio cover on, only to eventually come back and find it ON and well overheated due to an MS screw up.

On the one hand, Jobs DID tolerate even worse, viz the various antenna debacles on iPhones.

On the other, I used to recommend the Surface because it was a 'serious' tablet while the iPad is just the nozzle on the end of the iTunes garden hose (iTunes being a somewhat manure-covered garden hose, which a recent convert from the last remaining Zune, here, is now finding out).

However, so much for my ever again trotting out the Company Line on the Surface being a 'serious' alternative as MS doesn't seem to have any sense of urgency in fixing this problem, which after the 'brick your RT' issue points to a very amateur organization.

I've left my SP2 deliberately turned Off, lying on a desk with a folio cover on, only to eventually come back and find it ON and well overheated due to an MS screw up.

Try disabling "hibernate after 60 minutes" in the balanced power profile under Sleep options, works for me. However my surface still sits at 30 - 35% CPU utilization doing nothing. I've gone through the very painful (yes 5 hours now on chat and the phone) to get this replaced, MS is having various issues with their Advanced replacement system where they charge a hold to your CC during the exchange. Overall not a happy camper but hopefully the new unit, not having applied the dreaded December Firmware will function normally and January's forthcoming firmware will resurrect my waning like/trust/happiness with my recent $1500 investment (until something else happens)

Jasmine

Are we absolutely sure this is firmware related?
I mean, my SP2 had the exact same problem, and I didn't even have the December update because it failed and never showed up again.
I found it weird randomly seeing the "Surface" screen come on in the morning when I knew I hadn't touched the thing :S