What's new

wakeup problems

mtalinm

Last few weeks my SP2 has had this wakeup problem from hibernate where, when I press the power button, the word "Surface" will appear and the spinning thing will do its thing, but then it goes blank again. Happens over and over until I finally hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off.

Anyone else seen/fixed this?

GoodBytes

Last few weeks my SP2 has had this wakeup problem from hibernate where, when I press the power button, the word "Surface" will appear and the spinning thing will do its thing, but then it goes blank again. Happens over and over until I finally hold the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off.

Anyone else seen/fixed this?

Are you using picture password?
Do you have an external display connected to the Surface Pro 2?
Do you see the lock screen (the part where you can slide up before entering the password)?

OP
M

mtalinm

Are you using picture password?
Do you have an external display connected to the Surface Pro 2?
Do you see the lock screen (the part where you can slide up before entering the password)?

Yes to pic passed and external display, though the sp2 doesn't sleep when plugged in. This is when it is not plugged in.

I never see the lock screen. It just says "Surface" on the black screen, spins the thingy, and goes black (but keyboard stays lit).

GoodBytes

Ok.
1- Picture Password is buggy. Usually, drawing a circle on the black screen will make it show again (and now the password has failed, because you had to do a big circle on the black screen to make it appear). I have the same bug on my desktop. It is a Windows 8.x bug.

2- Intel integrated graphics has unreliable multiple display support and causes verity of problems that are not consistent. At work, we have PC's (desktops - third gen Core i5 CPU) where we have a projector and screen connected to it. It worked with Intel solution when it wanted, and had tendency to forget some settings. We were annoyed, as we have multiple places where we have the setup, it happens with laptops, and other computers. We got some old GeForce 610 (as it was the cheapest thing, even though we knew that graphical performance was on par as Intel solution) just for dual screen, and we have NEVER had any problem. Ever. System goes to sleep, wake up fine, no loss of settings, no problem with disconnecting wires and connecting them back to make it work or re-detect.

So first, disable picture password, and remove your multiple display setup. And now see if your problem are solved. I am sure it will.
If it does, then Intel there is no fix. It's been an issue since the early days of Intel integrated graphics solutions. Intel doesn't have or care in getting the expertise needed. They offer a free graphics solution, and that is what you get for your money.

As for point 1 about picture password. I can't find other people complaining, so I don't think it has Microsoft attention. Hopefully, employees or the Surface team notices it, and report it to the Windows team and hopefully the Windows team will be able to fix it on the next update of Windows 8 (or Windows 9).