What's new

Want to Buy Windows RT Tablet, But Which ?

needatablet

hello,
i want to buy in the next 1-2 weeks a tablet pc.
my favourite is the microsoft surface rt. it looks nice, has office, a cover with integrated keyboard a full size usb, but i heared that the tegra 3 processor is a bit "slow" and the display resolution is low.
there are other tablets with android or ios (i dont like ios) but from the design looks the surface best.

have you any recommendations for me for a good windows rt tabelt ?

the surface pro is to expensive (about 900 dollars, which mean about 900 euro) and to heavy (about 900g).

i want a tablet with full size usb, windows rt and office. i would use it a bit to write some notes etc in school or at the university.

ps: sorry for my bad english, i am from germany.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome. Surface RT sounds right for you. Screen resolution is better in person than specs indicate. Weight is not heavy for for a device of this type. The tegra 3 is more than capable. Go for it!

JP

ArnoldC

Hi there and welcome to the forum. There are other tablets that will run Windows RT other than the Surface. They are from Asus TF600, Samsung Ativ series, and soon HTC and Nokia.

In my case, I have not owned a serious Microsoft hardware product, so I took the opportunity to buy one.

In terms of performance of the Tegra 3, I don't have issues with it, though I don't play games that much. For office use, the performance is excellent and i am able to do most of the things I can do with my Acer Aspire S3 w/ dual-core i7 processor, except Hyper-V among other things.

Odyssey

I bought the Surface for college myself and it's perfect for taking notes due to its portability and long battery life. Because the size of the display is 10.6 inches, you won't really notice a difference in clarity between this and say the Ipad (own the Ipad 2 and 3. No significant difference between them and the Surface in terms of screen quality). The Tegra 3 processor is not slow at all! I can run OneNote, Internet Explorer, the Mail app, and have the Music app going on in the background all at the same time with no serious slowdown.

Bottom line, if all you're worried about is screen resolution and processor speed, then the Surface will be capable of doing most basic tasks. I recommend purchasing the Type keyboard to avoid the learning curve associated with the Touch keyboard if you intend on taking lots of notes like I do.

Marko

Don`t buy this stupid Surface tablet - it's just an expensive toy for children, but it does not for your job.
I bought it before 10 days from a “PUBLIC” store in Bulgaria.

1. The Surface don`t have 3G internet connection
2. The Surface has a USB port, but it does not allow working with your internet card.
3. The Surface does not allow the installation of other mail clients.
4. The Surface don`t have Outlook or Windows Mail and it does not allow the installation of these.
5. You are forced to use paid options of Outlook - you and your company. If you don`t want..........
6. The Windows website says that there is a slot for added card - expandable memory, but actually there is none.
7. The quality of the photos taken with the Surface are disgusting.
8. The battery lasts max. 2 hours work.
9. You are completely dependent on a very limited number of Surface Apps.
10. Even if you want to buy useful for you Apps you don`t have this option.

And many other things that are not all beautiful things written about Surface.
After only two hours working with Surface will feel cheated by Microsoft. Believe me.
I wish you much fun.

hello,
i want to buy in the next 1-2 weeks a tablet pc.
my favourite is the microsoft surface rt. it looks nice, has office, a cover with integrated keyboard a full size usb, but i heared that the tegra 3 processor is a bit "slow" and the display resolution is low.
there are other tablets with android or ios (i dont like ios) but from the design looks the surface best.

have you any recommendations for me for a good windows rt tabelt ?

the surface pro is to expensive (about 900 dollars, which mean about 900 euro) and to heavy (about 900g).

i want a tablet with full size usb, windows rt and office. i would use it a bit to write some notes etc in school or at the university.

ps: sorry for my bad english, i am from germany.

Arctherus

1. True, it does not have 3G connection, but neither does an iPad at that price or even a Nexus 10
2.This is true as of right now, I have heard that drivers are available online, however Microsoft requested them to be removed. future support seems plausible.
3. This is only true because app for other mail clients haven't been made for the most part. Yahoo mail app is already out.
4. From what I have seen there is no outlook in the making for Windows RT yet* This being a Microsoft tablet, my personal thoughts are it will be developed in a reasonable amount of time.
6. Funny, I guess my 64gig microsd card in my surface is my imagination.
7. Will not lie, pictures are below par personally. But it suffices for now.
8. I use my Surface moderate-heavy, and I charge it about once a day.
9. When iOS or Android came out, you were also limited to the small number of apps in the app market. Give it time and it will grow.
10. My needs have been met so far with the app market. I would ofcourse to see more apps in the app market, but this is one of, if not, the fastest growing app market that was this early in its ecosystem.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry it sounds like you are very angry with your purchase, but my experience is vastly different than yours, I find this is the best tablet I've ever used.
Answers inline:

1. The Surface don`t have 3G internet connection - This is by design (When Microsoft researched the market, the vast majority of Tablets purchased were WiFi only models)
2. The Surface has a USB port, but it does not allow working with your internet card. - The Card Manufacturer needs to provide Support for Windows RT using the new driver paradigm
3. The Surface does not allow the installation of other mail clients. - Any 3rd party can provide their App through the Store (just like Android and iOS)
4. The Surface don`t have Outlook or Windows Mail and it does not allow the installation of these. - RT and Windows 8 have a built in Mail and Calendar Client
5. You are forced to use paid options of Outlook - you and your company. If you don`t want.......... - What paid options are you referring to? Office365? Outlook.com is completely free.
6. The Windows website says that there is a slot for added card - expandable memory, but actually there is none. - The Surface RT had a Micro-SD slot behind the kickstand with support for up to 64GB cards.
7. The quality of the photos taken with the Surface are disgusting. - Camera is only 720p this is listed in the Tech Specs
8. The battery lasts max. 2 hours work. - If you are only getting 2 hours something is wrong with your unit, I get 7-10 hours doing real work (Office, RDP, VOIP calls with Lync, etc.)
9. You are completely dependent on a very limited number of Surface Apps. - What functionality are you missing? RT has a fully compliant and capable browser that makes many apps unneeded like Facebook or Twitter.
10. Even if you want to buy useful for you Apps you don`t have this option. - Again, what are you missing?

bosamar

Don`t buy this stupid Surface tablet - it's just an expensive toy for children, but it does not for your job.
I bought it before 10 days from a “PUBLIC” store in Bulgaria.

1. The Surface don`t have 3G internet connection
2. The Surface has a USB port, but it does not allow working with your internet card.
3. The Surface does not allow the installation of other mail clients.
4. The Surface don`t have Outlook or Windows Mail and it does not allow the installation of these.
5. You are forced to use paid options of Outlook - you and your company. If you don`t want..........
6. The Windows website says that there is a slot for added card - expandable memory, but actually there is none.
7. The quality of the photos taken with the Surface are disgusting.
8. The battery lasts max. 2 hours work.
9. You are completely dependent on a very limited number of Surface Apps.
10. Even if you want to buy useful for you Apps you don`t have this option.

And many other things that are not all beautiful things written about Surface.
After only two hours working with Surface will feel cheated by Microsoft. Believe me.
I wish you much fun.

That's quite a list of very poor excuses. Did you perform any research before you bought? You should return it.

machistmo

Because I want a tablet to have 3g? I can tether it to my 4G LTE device (iPhone 5, don't hate) and surf at better speeds than my cable modem. Obvious troll. Is there a reason I cant make paragraphs when posting here?

gpstrucker

I own several tablets, including an iPad and , for me, the Surface meets my needs far better than any of the others. You just need to do some research and decide which device will best meet your needs.

The biggest advantage of the Surface for me is the ability to print from the tablet directly to my printer either via usb or wireless without the need to use some cloud based print service. None of my other tablets are able to do that (no printer drivers).

There IS a microSD card slot in the device for expandable storage, it's behind the kickstand.