What's new

Want to use Pro but without signing into a windows/msn account

darrenj1471

Hi

Hopefully a basic one, I purchased a Surface pro yesterday and really like it thus far but haven't used Hotmail or any windows type service for some time (I use gmail and have an android phone etc) but when I was moving through the set up I was prompted to enter a windows account details.

As such I entered my old Hotmail details Ive not used in ages and set up completed, but now my home screen etc shows loads of old pictures and people I don't want and also I plan for other people to use the device and ideally I don't want it littered with my details.

Is there a way to reverse the set up/start again or a simple way of having the surface be like a laptop ie can access as much nice functionality as possible without it being directly linked to an email account?

Thanks in advance

jimkraz

You would have to do refresh and "not" use hotmail addy when setting up, but then you will have problems accessing the "store" to download apps, even the free ones, looks like you may have to try and clean out your old account, removing those you don't want now. Jim

Garyjk

yes, swipe in from the right. choose change pc settings
click accounts on the left
click other accounts and then add an account
at the bottom, click sign in without a Microsoft account
click local account and set it up.
then go back to accounts and choose your Microsoft account.
I don't remember the verbiage, but you'll see something like disconnect or something like that.

kundas1

Why are people so adamant about using a msn account? Its not like they're asking for DNA/urine samples....

Wayne Orwig

Why are people so adamant about using a msn account? Its not like they're asking for DNA/urine samples....

I dislike being almost forced into it. It turns out that the login and the outlook.com integration has actually made things a lot better for me. But if I had purchased this as a work only device, I would not want that configuration, and they make it hard to not do it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I dislike being almost forced into it. It turns out that the login and the outlook.com integration has actually made things a lot better for me. But if I had purchased this as a work only device, I would not want that configuration, and they make it hard to not do it.

If it is work only device, you would be logging into a Domain Account and depending on what you IT department allows in Group Policy you would be able to tie the Domain Account to your Microsoft Account for integration. If it was a SMB Org you could use an Office365 Account.

phubai

Yeah, I don't have a real problem with it. They're all doing it, or soon will if not. With cloud storage, updates, stores, if you're at all internet connected, and there aren't many who are not, you're pretty much forced to be in their loop. You can always create a new Microsoft account, only used for the purpose of updates, the store and any purchases you care to make, and use Gmail or your preferred email provider and not even bother with your Microsoft account. I like and use the web-based Outlook and the integration it provides more every day, even though my primary account is Gmail. It works for my simple needs anyway.

yotaman

For me the reason I Use a local account on my win 8.1 laptop and probably will do the same on surface is the calendar app. I used Gmail to create my Microsoft account and when I used the calendar app on pc it screwed up all my all day events because Microsoft and Google cant agree on when the day begins and ends one says the day starts at 12:00 am and ends at 11:59pm the other says the day starts at 12:01am and ends at 12:00. That 1 freaking minute screws with the calender app on my android phone I was making phone calls for birthdays anniversary's on wrong day. After this happened a couple of times I figured out what caused it and now only have local accounts on my machines.