What's new

Wanted: Idiots Guide to Setting Up Three Monitors

WAR

I'd like to set up three monitors on my desk and have my SB2 closed while in use. I've got a 13.5", i7, 16 GB Surface Book 2 with the new docking block. I've been using Surface Computers since the first one, and tablets since the HP Compaq TC1100.

I'd like my set up to work right out of the box without the need for troubleshooting, so could anyone advise me on the following?

My VersaDesk is 48" wide, so would (3) 20" wide monitors work the best?

What Brand/Resolution monitors should I buy?

What cables/additional equipment would I need?

Thanks for any and ALL input!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There are many variables in this request, Starting with your budget and what type of work you are wanting to do...

Native solutions would require use of Monitors that support DisplayPort 1.2 or later and have the ability to daisy chain, so 2 of the monitors would be driven off one of the mDP ports on the dock and the third would be off the other.

The other option is using 2 off the mDP ports and use a USB C or USB DisplayLink Adapter.

I went with a 34" WUHD Curved Monitor and the SB2 in Canvass Mode on a Swing Arm.

OP
WAR

WAR

I decided on the following set up . . .

(2) Dell Ultrasharp UP2518d monitors hooked directly to the Surface Dock via the Mini Display Ports, and the Surface itself as the 3rd Screen. The Dell Monitors have 2560 x 1440 resolution which is great for my use. Everything set up without a hitch!

monitor set up.jpeg

OP
WAR

WAR

Where's your mouse, Jeff?

Duh, just saw the trackpad on the keyboard! How's that work out?