What's new

Warmth

Jasmine

I just got a replacement because my first SP2 had the same issue.

When using your Surface, do you feel any warmth at all? (Specifically if you touch the screen or the back of the tablet.) Straight out of the box, this one was HOT. Not even warm, but hot. I installed the new firmware and now it feels more warm. Still doesn't seem normal to me, though. Earlier when it was hot, the computer was lagging so badly I had to restart it. I couldn't do anything.

I'm about to give up on the Surface :(

mennogreg

My Surface Pro is usually cool to the touch. Have you opened up Task Manager and see what's utilizing your CPU?

manonthebrain

during normal web browsing yes the surface of the surface will get warm (cup of warm milk warm). You may want to check you power settings. im not 100% sure but i know that the high performance setting does get it nice and hot alot faster than the power saver. i think it has to do with how much more power the cpu is using.

also that lag you were talking about is probably the surface safe guarding itself from any damage from excess heat. so what it does is it throttles the cpu until it gets to an optimal operating temperature

drolem

They can get rather warm, especially when:
a) heavily using the GPU
b) charging the battery
c) left in a sleeve while not sleeping

Randomguy

I just had a session of Hearthstone on my pro 2 and noticed that the CPU had gotten upto almost 80 deg C! (measured using coretemp). This seems like very high temps for a game that is not graphically intense. Please tell me this normal and not a problem...

Randomguy

I understand that the max temp is 100 C. I was just concerned that hearthstone seemed to be pushing the CPU to its limits. We've seen in the gaming thread that the pro 2 should be able to handle much more intense gaming than hearthstone. Will keep an eye on it for now.

OP
J

Jasmine

This one is always warm. If it's on, it's warm. If it's off or asleep, it's fine.
Doesn't matter what I'm doing or what programs I have up - it's always warm or hot. And now, the fans are starting to run loudly the way my old SP2 did. I just don't get it. Like the actual screen is warm. If I touch it with a finger, it feels warm to me.

This just doesn't seem normal. When I got it, it was freezing (thanks to the weather). I wondered how that would affect it.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if this one's just defective...

Last edited:
OP
J

Jasmine

Believe it or not, it's true. Like I said before, the SP2 I had before this one had the same exact issue, so it's not like I'm making it up or anything.

And since it doesn't sound like anyone else has the issue, it's obviously a defect - one that I keep encountering for some reason.