What's new

Warranty Question

absresin

Interested in the $149 extended warranty for my SP3. Just want to make sure of something. Does the 1 year extended warranty start when my original product warranty expires? Thanks for any info

VickiFL

I'm not exactly sure how that works. I wonder how many people opted not to buy the Microsoft Complete plan. I feel like it is a necessity with the SP3.

bluegrass

The replacement - no questions asked, no matter if I drop it in the river, on the sidewalk or whatever. That's what convinced me to invest an extra $150 on my over $2K investment. I'm pretty sure it extends the 1 year by a year. If that concerns you, I would call the store and ask.

malberttoo

Interested in the $149 extended warranty for my SP3. Just want to make sure of something. Does the 1 year extended warranty start when my original product warranty expires? Thanks for any info

Microsoft Complete gives you 2 years of accidental damage protection, and effectively replaces the 1-year standard warranty that your SP3 came with.

Out of the box, your SP3 has 1 year of standard warranty, where Microsoft will replace the SP3 if it fails for some unexpected reason. However they will examine it first, and will not replace it in case of damage or mistreatment or abuse.

Complete does let you get your SP3 replaced, for just about any reason, outside of obvious abuse. Complete gives you 2 years which start from the date that you purchased Complete, and you get 2 incidents, at $50 per incident.

Hope that helps.

OP
A

absresin

Microsoft Complete gives you 2 years of accidental damage protection, and effectively replaces the 1-year standard warranty that your SP3 came with.

Out of the box, your SP3 has 1 year of standard warranty, where Microsoft will replace the SP3 if it fails for some unexpected reason. However they will examine it first, and will not replace it in case of damage or mistreatment or abuse.

Complete does let you get your SP3 replaced, for just about any reason, outside of obvious abuse. Complete gives you 2 years which start from the date that you purchased Complete, and you get 2 incidents, at $50 per incident.

Hope that helps.
thanks very much, just bought it gives my original year plus one.

malberttoo

thanks very much, just bought it gives my original year plus one.

Well, not quite. Your "original year" doesn't give you any kind of accidental damage protection. Complete gives you 2 years of it, so basically you've replaced your first year of basic warranty with accidental damage protection.

VickiFL

Well, not quite. Your "original year" doesn't give you any kind of accidental damage protection. Complete gives you 2 years of it, so basically you've replaced your first year of basic warranty with accidental damage protection.

Do you know if they renew it when the coverage expires?

BillsCarnage

The replacement - no questions asked, no matter if I drop it in the river, on the sidewalk or whatever. That's what convinced me to invest an extra $150 on my over $2K investment.
Exactly. I actually doubled down for warranties on my SP3. The retailer I bought it from offered me a 3yr warranty that was essentially the same as the default MS warranty sans screen breakage - unless it can be proven a defect. This was offered at $300 to which I asked if they'd throw in a keyboard - they said no and I said no. A few min later the guy found me in the store and said they'd throw in they type cover. So I purchased the 3yr warranty and got the keyboard free.

I then purchased the MS Complete to protect against accidental damage, so I'm pretty much set for the next 2yrs. Having suffered from the sleep-of-death with my RT after 16mo. I'm not taking any chances with this.
Do you know if they renew it when the coverage expires?
I doubt it will because the SP3 might be end-of-life by then.

raqball

I hope my SP3 isn't at the end of its life in 2 years.

I *think* what he meant by that is the SP3 will no longer be sold 2-years from now and that makes sense since by then we will be waiting for the SP6..

Electronics don't last long. An off-topic example is the Lumia Icon. 8 months ago it was the top dog windows phone flagship device. It's already been "retired" by Verizon..

I am sure MS will continue to support the SP3 2 years from now they just won't be making new ones or actively selling them.

Grumpy2

My experience with extended warranties has not been good. In the majority of cases I have not had reason to make a claim. In the instances where I have tried to make a claim the company(s) carrying the extended warranty has refused to honour the claim. In my opinion extended warranties are a complete waste of money and are unnecessary. Extended warranties is just another example of a sales person trying to sell a product or service (which is not needed) to a gullible customer.