What's new

Wavy lines on extended monitor (weird)...

mitchellvii

Wavy lines on extended monitor (solved)...

When I first plug my extended monitor into my Surface Pro display port (using Microsoft's aftermarket VGA connector), I get wavy lines all over my monitor screen for the first minute or two at which point the screen becomes clear.

Very odd and troublesome. I am using a 22" HD IPS panel.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to resolve? I have noticed this with a number of different monitors I have tried so I do not believe it is hardware related on the monitor side.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, think I figured it out. My monitor has a default input setting which was set to DVI. It also has an auto-search setting which if it doesn't see DVI it looks for what is plugged in. So, I set default to VGA and turned off the auto-search function and it worked beautifully. So issue was in monitor, not the SP.

Good info for anyone else experiencing the same issue.

Crimson Idol 8

This only usually happens to me when I give the VGA connector an accidental hit, and even then, not all the time. I found a disconnect/reconnect or a reboot fixed it.

I have no idea what's going with the wavy lines upon connection. Faulty cable, maybe?

Crimson Idol 8

Ok, think I figured it out. My monitor has a default input setting which was set to DVI. It also has an auto-search setting which if it doesn't see DVI it looks for what is plugged in. So, I set default to VGA and turned off the auto-search function and it worked beautifully. So issue was in monitor, not the SP.

Good info for anyone else experiencing the same issue.
Good to know! Might see if there's something like that on my monitor. Cheers.

Stoliguy

It's actually a ground sync error... I'd never tell you to remove the third plug from your monitor, or that it would keep it from happening....

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

It's actually a ground sync error... I'd never tell you to remove the third plug from your monitor, or that it would keep it from happening....

Third plug? You mean the round one on the bottom of the power cable? That fixes it? (yeah I am still having the problem occasionally) How?