What's new

We owe them some guidance

SEANT

We have a responsibility as well. As relatively early adopters of Microsoft’s mobile effort, it is up to us to demand more. And demand correctly. I think we all dropped the ball with regard to Windows RT.

Let’s be honest, Most of us are windows desktop users. Even though we may not get all jazzed up by our work lives, most of us would be interested in those 40 or so hours a week becoming more efficient. Microsoft is uniquely qualified to make that happen.

A new buyer should have to agonize over the productivity option.

Weighing:

“I’d really hate to give up Apple’s ‘Let’s pat each other on the ass for being so trendy’ app.”

Or,

“If I went back to Android I could pick back up with the ‘Let Google track your performance in bed with the spouse’ app.”

Against:

“All the other cubicles – and the other field workers – are kicking my butt.”

Some may make the case that ‘the desktop’ only has about 5 – 10 years left. Quite possible. But, how many years would the ‘Windows Mobile’ effort have, before the plug is pulled for good?

Let’s encourage Microsoft to commandeer that desktop population (as well as any young, productivity minded individuals), and have them usher us all into the next generation of doing things.

OP
S

SEANT

Why the hell doesn’t my Windows Phone automatically pair with my laptop when in range? Both devises have the same user.

That would allow for the communication needed for AutoCAD to automatically call up a NumberPad app and adjust the type of units it expects – Feet/Inches, Decimal Metric, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds. If you’ve ever had to input Feet and Inches on a laptop, you would know how valuable that would be.

Similarly, the Gyroscope/Accelerometer of a properly paired phone should act as a 3D motion controller for Solidworks/Inventor/ etc.

A 7 – 8” tablet should automatically pair with a computer to augment the Keyboard. Anyone working on a Word document should not have to call up the Character Map, ever. Any appropriate math symbol, or Winding should be ready to go.

OP
S

SEANT

A paired desktop and wearable could coordinate to track billable hours for architects, lawyers, programmers, etc. Currently, by just considering ‘document open’ time, hours are registered even if the desktop user is away from the desk, on the phone, etc.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS doesn't really listen, they have their mind made up and if you agree with them that's affirming but if you don't you're wrong and will get the explanation aka the hand. They might look back and change course on the next version but then it's back to the same. Research appears to be done in an isolated basement room, they go in, talk to themselves then emerge with the plan carved in stone, as if delivered by Moses from God, and that's what they are doing for this release. You might see some minor tweaks but for the most part they have charted a course and stick to it until next time. I'm sure they get advise to do every possible combination of things though which might lead to being tone deaf.

OP
S

SEANT

Dominating success is a mixed blessing. Microsoft enjoyed that success all the way up to the Mobile revolution. If at some point Microsoft deems it's vision has not garnered the favor of the masses, they may start to listen a little more closely.

kristalsoldier

Dominating success is a mixed blessing. Microsoft enjoyed that success all the way up to the Mobile revolution. If at some point Microsoft deems it's vision has not garnered the favor of the masses, they may start to listen a little more closely.

One would assume that after the Win 8 (not necessarily 8.1) debacle, MS would have learnt to listen a bit more carefully and to find ways to mediate between user expectations, business demands, and technological viability.

I guess we would know how well MS has learnt its lesson after Win 10 drops!

leeshor

They are listining MUCH more with 10 than they did with 8, which was pretty much zero. They took a "we know best" attitude with 8.

OP
S

SEANT

It’s tough. Microsoft has been making good (sensible, if not daring) choices for so long, it would be hard for them to not give their own judgment too much credit. Microsoft no doubt adhered to the quote:

If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse".

These days, we’re too sophisticated to be treated like that. We can imagine how our lives would be better. But, we may have to take matters into our own hand – instead of waiting to be asked, let’s pepper them with sound, honest demands.

as far as mobile devices go, I think Microsoft has to be careful in the tablet category due the market being saturated. This is where IMO surface pro blows away everything and sets itself apart. Apple isn't cranking out as many ipads due to people not as willing to flop down the cash for minor upgrades for a device that basically gives the same experience as a smartphone (just with a larger screen). Windows phone is a mess though, they definitely need to get it together or forget about it. I think a lot of wp users have jumped ship, I did and went back to android because of Icon not coming to At&t..windows phone could be awesome but you cant afford to take a year or so hiatus from the market!.

OP
S

SEANT

as far as mobile devices go, I think Microsoft has to be careful in the tablet category due the market being saturated. . . . .
. . . . Windows phone is a mess though, they definitely need to get it together or forget about it. I think a lot of wp users have jumped ship, I did and went back to android because of Icon not coming to At&t..windows phone could be awesome but you cant afford to take a year or so hiatus from the market!.

That's certainly the situation that has me worried. I have a fairly large stake in the Windows eco-system. Large for me, anyway. And I may even be a stockholder - I'd have to read the prospectus of my mutual funds a little more closely. Bottom line, I'm a fan and I want them to do well.

Telstar1948

Yep, looks like smartphones are getting ready to jump again by 2016 with much better processors. I have to say I was in the Mac camp, wanted the SP3 so went with it and a Nokia 920 to boot...nice phone, but the Galaxy Note 3 blows it and the other WP8's away. I dearly love the N3 (only Android device I've ever owned). Now, if MS came out with a Lumia 6" smartphone with a Wacom screen & stylus...well...guess I'd have to take another look. BUT the Lumia would have to be a superior product all the way around to the N3 for me to seriously consider going back to a windows phone again.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
People expect some consistency, market persistence, and a roadmap you cannot dabble with an entry now and then while abandoning the market or last model because of changes in direction at least not overtly. I point to Blackberry's wandering the last few years as prime example and wp parallels that. They rebooted their strategy several times while taking long hiatuses between products. Does anyone know where this haphazard journey is headed next? It deeply concerns me that the wp team is in charge of anything at MS much less all OS development.