What's new

Weather app live tile alert

mwilson

Hi there,

I'm posting my question here, as the windows forum seems to be an empty town next to this one.

Beginning a few days ago, the MS weather's app live tile started displaying an exclamation mark at the bottom right. This also shows on the lock screen. I understand this is a weather alert; my problem is that I can't quite figure out how to view and clear it. When clicking on it, it takes me to the home location in the app, which doesn't show any alert nor any way to clear past ones, should there have been any. I even deleted my home location, which also got rid of the exclamation mark, but as soon as I add it back, the alert reappears.

Am I going senile here, missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When the local or national weather service rescinds the Alert it typically cleared (it may take a bit). We here in Western Washington at a Severe Wind Alert yesterday and we had the same Exclamation Mark.

r0b123

Have you checked your Settings and cleared it? There is an option to Clear weather searches which may help.

weather tile options.png

OP
M

mwilson

Thanks for the replies. I've cleared the searches, but it reappears. As far as actual conditions worthy of alerting, there aren't any - it's 76 and perfectly clear here in So. Florida. So something's amiss, methinks. I'll give it a few more days to see what it might do on its own.

guymalloc

When you open the weather app, there should be a red bar towards the bottom of the first screen. Click on it and it should show you the alert. I believe the alert symbol will stay on the tile as long as it's in effect.

OP
M

mwilson

I see no such bar. I also tried it on a second windows 8.1 pc to which I have access and its got the alert on the live tile but no way to see what the alert is - just like on my Sp3. Must be a glitch in the weather app then.

Thanks again to all who've replied!

annabanana

My problem with the Weather app is 99% of the time it opens but doesn't show the weather. I've waited 3-4 minutes and nothing. I don't have that problem with the Accuweather app.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My problem with the Weather app is 99% of the time it opens but doesn't show the weather. I've waited 3-4 minutes and nothing. I don't have that problem with the Accuweather app.
Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall it... sounds like its in a quandary.

OP
M

mwilson

Maybe you need to uninstall and reinstall it... sounds like its in a quandary.

It's not specific to this installation; it does the same on another Windows 8.1 machine. I just can't figure out where to see these alerts and dismiss them

bluegrass

You might contact the vendor and ask them. You might need to pick a different weather software. I think their are several to choose from.