What's new

Web Browser Choice

bstylz01

what web browser are you guys using on the surface?
i read somewhere that internet explorer uses alot of memory so i installed chrome.

macmee

i read somewhere that internet explorer uses alot of memory so i installed chrome.

Chrome is a pig for resources. You are better off using IE. If you want to maximize battery life use Metro IE.

I use Metro IE and FireFox. I do not use Chrome because of Google's piss poor high resolution and touch support for the surface. Toggling DPI scaling toggles blurryness and small UI. Toggling the high DPI flag within chrome makes the UI incredibly blurry.

You must be using a Surface Pro. On the Surface 2/RT our only choice is IE. :D

Everywhere else, I use Chrome. Some claim that Chrome is a resource hog, and out-of-the-box that might be true (I haven't experienced that), but with a few extensions (DontTrackMeGoogle and AdBlockPlus) and settings adjustments, I find Chrome to be very quick and light. For someone who uses multiple devices a day, bookmark/history syncing with Chrome is very helpful.

CrippsCorner

Chrome every time! At home, work and mobile... can't stand using IE for desktop, it seems to be from a previous generation to me
angry.png

As for Modern apps, I do use IE because it's the only choice with proper touch functions... :( hoping Google release a good version soon.

Dim-Ize

Since I have to use WebEx multiple times per week, I use Chrome too as 8.1 an IE 11 don't play nice together with Cisco's Webex.

But, I wish IE did work with it.

Nuspieds

IE only for me.

I prefer to manage and maintain only one set of favorites and I especially love using Modern IE via a touch interface.

Deckyon

I am using the latest FireFox (v29). The DPI Scaling works well in it, and it seems more touch-friendly. I was using Chrome, but it just doesnt look as good to me. I dont use a lot of addons or plugins, so I dont worry too much about that.

beq

I prefer to manage and maintain only one set of favorites
I know what you mean. I've resorted to relying on Apple's iCloud Control Panel (usually bundled with iTunes on Windows) to keep IE, Firefox, Chrome, and mobile Safari (iPhone/iPad) bookmarks synced. Not foolproof, but neither was Xmarks when I'd used it.

My rules of thumb:

- I only set up the cross-browser bookmark sync on 1 computer (to avoid feedback loops?). For the rest of devices, Chrome and FF already sync other browser installs, and Win8 OneDrive sync handles IE (these even sync all settings not just bookmarks). Ditto mobile Safari on iOS.

- Merging different bookmarks from all the browsers often led to chaos. So I like to consolidate to 1 browser first (empty out the others) before starting.

- The "iCloud Bookmarks" extensions installed in Chrome and FF seem pretty reliable, but the "Apple IE DAV" method used for IE is less so. My sync glitches usually cropped up on IE, then propagated to the other browsers -- including bookmarks and folders being moved out of order, and duplicates being continually created (usually only fixed by deleting and re-creating the original).

CrippsCorner

I would say favourites are pretty much the only downside to Chrome, the management is... well, non-existent really.

Keep finding new and amazing features though. The other day I logged into another forum I use and remembered there was a lengthy thread I had started to type but never had time to finish and post it... when I went to the same section I noticed a little box saying 'restore' (or something similar) so clicked on it out of interest and it retained everything that I had previously written! Even though this was days ago, the computer had been switch off multiple times and I had shut the browser down properly, i.e. not because of it crashing. I love the cloud sometimes :)

mohcho

Chrome all the way.

If you have Chrome synching from other devices, you can continue where you left off regardless of the device you're using.