What's new

Website not working

king182

Quick question: Do you have the same problem that some pages are not opening and I have to shut ie11 down with a swipe because nothing is working anymore.
E.g. realgm.com

beman39

yup it makes my IE11 go crazy, apparently IE11 doesn't like one of the plug-ins or whatever they're are using on that site... does it do the same thing on our computer?

oion

Looks like an infinite loop redirect or something. Putting it into compatibility mode only stops the infinite loop thing, but then nothing appears (also looks like the Tracking Protection Lists I have enabled in IE11 are blocking some content). They don't seem to have a working mobile website, but you could try contacting the website owners to check compatibility against IE11. Unfortunately, I can't see a way around this on IE11.

By the way, if you didn't know, MS changed the way Metro apps are closed in 8.1. It's no longer just a swipe-down, as that merely puts it to "sleep." If you really want to close a Metro app, you have to swipe down and hold at the bottom of the screen until the image flips over. Slightly annoying.

oion

Couple notes. The realgm.com redirects to t.basketball.realgm.com, which strangely looks like only a collection of Javascripts from the source code. The actual error that's in the title area is "Onswipe," which I think is an analytics thing, so a script is breaking in IE11. Realgm.com on my desktop redirects to basketball.realgm.com without the "t" and looks fine.

The contact page works. Then the menus and pages appear to work fine from that page and the subpages like schedules, or subdomains like football.realgm.com. So something is screwing up on the front page, I guess. I would add the main realgm.com to your compatibility list so at least you wouldn't get trapped in the infinite loop.

OP
K

king182

Wow thanks for the info. I am very new to Surface and windows 8.1 - how can I add a website to the compatibility list?

oion

Wow thanks for the info. I am very new to Surface and windows 8.1 - how can I add a website to the compatibility list?

Fix site display problems with Compatibility View - Microsoft Windows Help

That's the first thing I'd do with any "problem" website (though obviously it can't fix everything, but it's a good first step). Hopefully the subdomains/webpages you actually use from that domain are reachable from the working pages, and you can just add to favorites.

beman39

I already tried to add the web page to my compatibility list and it didn't work so all I got was a blank page, which is why I didn't mention it

oion

I already tried to add the web page to my compatibility list and it didn't work so all I got was a blank page, which is why I didn't mention it

It still helps. The point is that the infinite loop brings the entire BROWSER to its knees so you have to close the application. Without the infinite call loop, you can at least just close the tab and go elsewhere.

ctitanic

This is the string used by S2

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

This is the string used by a Windows Phone

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 810)

Many sites look for ARM and if it's found switch to Mobile. Other are looking for the token MSIE and it's not found they assume that the client is not using IE.

As you can see the string used in IE11 doesn't contain anymore MSIE.

oion

This is the string used by S2

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

This is the string used by a Windows Phone

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.0; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 810)

Many sites look for ARM and if it's found switch to Mobile. Other are looking for the token MSIE and it's not found they assume that the client is not using IE.

As you can see the string used in IE11 doesn't contain anymore MSIE.

That doesn't seem to be the crux of the problem, at least in this case.

We have two things going on--Realgm is sniffing for a mobile platform and not giving the user any choice, and then Onswipe isn't compatible with IE11 (so it seems, since there's an infinite loop script thing).

I edited the registry on my Surface 2 so IE11's user agent string would not show ARM. So then the user agent of my IE11 ends up showing this:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Realgm still wouldn't serve correctly. It seems to be the TOUCH part of the string that's really breaking things with the sniff. I haven't figured out how to get rid of that in the registry or if it's stored somewhere else.

Having a .reg fix would be awfully nice....