What's new

Websites that have a difficult time loading/working- Real Estate

borka105

I have a friend who is looking to buy a home, and I have devoted some time to helping him look for homes on sites like: Redfin.com and Zillow.com

For whatever reason, I am having an issue browsing both sites.

Redfin.com: If you type in an address, the website does not go past the 73% on loading the map. I have tried doing a search on both the metro IE and the desktop IE and both are having this issue.

Zillow.com: If you type in an address the page will load, but then the site freezes and you cannot scroll. Interestingly here, if I use the keyboard I can scroll by using my touchpad, but scrolling with the touch screen is disabled.

Does anyone have a solution to these two issues... I did a search for an app for Zillow or Redfin, but did not see anything in the App Store?

Thanks

OP
B

borka105

Desktop IE has compatibility mode. Try that.

Can you please explain what you mean by "compatibility mode". How do I get to it?

With that said, I went to redfin's website and they are aware of the issue. They have posted a workaround solution in the meantime:

We've heard from a few users that they are having issues with Windows Surface and IE10 (and more specifically, devices running Windows 8 RT). We're not yet sure what's causing the problem, but we're actively looking into it.

The good news is that in the meantime you can get Redfin working by changing a setting on your Surface:

First, you need to be on the "Desktop" version of IE on your Surface. You can get there one of two ways:

1. From the Start screen, tap Desktop. Then tap on the IE icon.

2. From the Start screen, tap Internet Explorer. Then tap the wrench icon and tap "View on the desktop".

Next you need to modify one IE setting:

1. Tap on the Gear menu.

2. Tap on Internet options.

3. Tap the Advanced tab.

4. Find Browsing->Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)

5. UNCHECK the checkbox.

6. Close the Internet Options window.

Once you make this change. Redfin searches will now complete.

FFX

Can you please explain what you mean by "compatibility mode". How do I get to it?
To the right of your address field, there's a symbol portraying a broken document. That's the compatibility mode icon, just press it.

R0bR

Redfin.com doesn't work in compatibility mode either so the work around they offered seems to be the only workaround until they fix it. Zillow.com works fine, you can't scroll by touching the page and sliding it but you can scroll by touch using the scroll bar. I've come across sites like this all the time, just use the scroll bar with your finger for them.

OP
B

borka105

Redfin.com doesn't work in compatibility mode either so the work around they offered seems to be the only workaround until they fix it. Zillow.com works fine, you can't scroll by touching the page and sliding it but you can scroll by touch using the scroll bar. I've come across sites like this all the time, just use the scroll bar with your finger for them.

what other sites do this? this is not a good thing considering I have no issues browsing any of these sites on Safari used my ipad or Nexus 7. Without another browser option, we need IE to allow for normal scrolling using your finger.

I wonder if MS is aware of sites these sites...

J515OP

Super Moderator

what other sites do this? this is not a good thing considering I have no issues browsing any of these sites on Safari used my ipad or Nexus 7. Without another browser option, we need IE to allow for normal scrolling using your finger.

I wonder if MS is aware of sites these sites...

I'm going to say yes.

Microsoft Launches Modern.IE To Help Developers Test Their Web Apps For Legacy And Modern Versions Of IE | TechCrunch

This, Microsoft found, is a surprisingly big problem. More than 40% of the top 5000 sites by traffic and volume currently use an outdated framework or library that may cause compatibility problems with the latest version of IE and other modern browsers. Microsoft also found that 20% of these top 5000 sites currently use vendor-specific prefixes (-moz, -ms, -webkit, etc.) that can cause compatibility problems. The majority of these sites also use browser detection and often serve up incompatible sites to IE9 and 10 because they don’t recognize that these new versions of IE aren’t exactly legacy browsers anymore.

Not everything is MS's fault. Many issues lie with developers whether they be app or web.

pwaggs

Of the sites that I use regularly, I think about a half dozen of them have issues with the IE on the app side of RT. I have found that they all work if I switch over to the desktop side and use explorer in compatibility mode. This tells me that the issue is not with the RT or with IE10, but the pages are simply designed for older architecture. By the way most of these sites are infact older forums.