What's new

Weird battery life on the surface pro 2

macmee

I have consistently had the backlight on 40% and just casual web surfing and email checking, and I have noticed that the predicted battery life on my unit (SP2 8gb model) has been quite inconsistent. I've had reports of 2 hours remaining on an 86% charge all the way up to 10 hours.

I was wondering what I can expect out of this device. I also own a non haswell MacBook pro and I get about 5-7 hours out of that. Can I expect about the same from this?

deldalton

I have consistently had the backlight on 40% and just casual web surfing and email checking, and I have noticed that the predicted battery life on my unit (SP2 8gb model) has been quite inconsistent. I've had reports of 2 hours remaining on an 86% charge all the way up to 10 hours.

I was wondering what I can expect out of this device. I also own a non haswell MacBook pro and I get about 5-7 hours out of that. Can I expect about the same from this?

macmee. I've seen it mentioned frequently on these forums that the Windows 8.1 will do a lot of indexing when you first have the device. If that's true, it's likely that the inconsistent usage reporting you've seen may be because it's been working on indexing in the background, without you knowing it. Apparently, it'll all die down and you'll get a much more stable and longer battery life.