What's new

Weird screen marks

Greetings all,

I got my surface pro yesterday and i'm really impressed and happy, however as the title suggests there is something I don't quite get.

if the screen is moistened to clean with a microfibre cloth there are a few specks below the camera and a 4 inch streak along the bottom left of the screen, which is weird, i've buffed it and double cleaned it but the mark remains, the odd thing is though if the screen is dry it cannot be seen. Someone else mentioned having a coffee mug ring shape in the center of the screen and it's very much like that.

Now I mention it for one to see if anyone else knows what it is and if I have a problem or how to remove it (I did suggest vinegar but I have none at the moment), and two should I return it if I only see it when cleaning, operation and use are all 100% as far as I can make out.

Thoughts?

Luke.

bluegrass

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen but I never moisten it. Somctimes I need to rub pretty hard and a long time to get it all clean. In actuality the smudges on the screen can't be seen once it's powered on but it really bothers me to see all the smudges when it's powered off. I guess I'm overly protective of my baby (Surface) to use moisture. I do use a moist paper towel on laptop screens I support where I work.

mitchellvii

A thin coat of Rain-X buffed into the screen once a week will make smudges come off more easily and increase the oleophobic effect (grease repellent) of the glass.

Always blow on your screen before cleaning to remove any bits of grit. Grit WILL scratch this glass.

Never rub this screen hard. Due to the cutouts for the speakers and microphone, it could shatter if you stress it.

gtext

Greetings all,

I got my surface pro yesterday and i'm really impressed and happy, however as the title suggests there is something I don't quite get.

if the screen is moistened to clean with a microfibre cloth there are a few specks below the camera and a 4 inch streak along the bottom left of the screen, which is weird, i've buffed it and double cleaned it but the mark remains, the odd thing is though if the screen is dry it cannot be seen. Someone else mentioned having a coffee mug ring shape in the center of the screen and it's very much like that.

Now I mention it for one to see if anyone else knows what it is and if I have a problem or how to remove it (I did suggest vinegar but I have none at the moment), and two should I return it if I only see it when cleaning, operation and use are all 100% as far as I can make out.

Thoughts?

Luke.

I have the exact problem but a circle on the screen. Mines packed up waiting for the shipping label to go back to MS. Wasn't willing to try vinegar incase it caused damage and wouldn't have been accepted then.
I think the surface coating is faulty on the screens that have issues like this so nothing you do will help. It's laughable to suggest you shouldn't use a moist microfiber cloth to clean a glass screen. Been doing that for years on other devices.
I've requested a refund not exchange and will wait for some later lot numbers here in Australia to come through, as people here seem to be getting a lot with screen issues.
Probably ones that have been returned in the US and MS has sent them over here. LOL

wynand32

Probably ones that have been returned in the US and MS has sent them over here. LOL

Because such things sometimes achieve a life of their own, I'll just say: I know you were joking, but I don't believe Microsoft would actually sell used machines as new. I've found them to be very conscientious as a hardware provider, conspicuously so, in fact.

OP
L

lbtaylor1984

After a deeper inspection it's a 5 inch streak about as wide as a Permanent marker tip unfortunately it's hundreds of scratches and has gone right through the oleophobic coating and you can feel the scratches with the pen and your finger nails. I've requested a exchange all boxed up and labelled awaiting collection tomorrow, then a 5 day wait... Gutted as it was a day old, then again if I noticed in a month I'd be pissed