What's new

Weird Shortcut ?

cr3v3tt3

So I was playing with the volume keys on my SP2... I tried pressing both volume buttons at the same time twice ... like at double click speed. The screen blinked black and the tablet beeped .. what is that for ?

Oh, i'm using windows 10

ScottyS

Just a guess (since I don't have the SP2), but the behavior you describe sound like it may be taking a screen capture. Do it and then try paste in an imaging app.

(Pressing Windows logo on bezel+volume up is what's supposed to take screen captures.)

OP
C

cr3v3tt3

no, it doesn't take a screenshot like windows + volume down does ; windows + volume up actually starts the annoying narrator

ScottyS

no, it doesn't take a screenshot like windows + volume down does ; windows + volume up actually starts the annoying narrator
Oh well, just a guess. The SP3 doesn't have two volume buttons to press, just a rocker switch.
Maybe it's just its way of saying "het, don't do that!";)

OP
C

cr3v3tt3

Oh well, just a guess. The SP3 doesn't have two volume buttons to press, just a rocker switch.
Maybe it's just its way of saying "het, don't do that!";)
well, the rocker is the same as the one on SP2 ...you can still press the up and down at the same time anyway, i guess

ScottyS

I tried that on my SP3 and nothing happened, but I had type cover closed and mDP monitor, USB wireless keyboard and BT mouse connected. Will try it later when disconnected and in tablet mode.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Some chatter around the web shows that this screen blinking behavior has been noted by others.
No functionality has been determined. It could be an electronic design bug that temporarily short-circuits the display :eek:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That beep is coming from the ID10T circuit. Rumor was if you do it 20 times you trigger a thermal explosion and a small mushroom cloud forms. :D

MagicPoop

I doubt it... cause if the OP said this was on a SP2 and I can replicate it on an SP3 .... it obviously does something...

OP
C

cr3v3tt3

Well , today I found out I can do this on my desktop as well, so i guess it's a windows 10 shortcut, not limited to Surface devices (I have dedicated volume buttons on the keyboard)
Still ... what is that shortcut for ?