What's new

Welcome to the new Surface Book forum

I like the device but in Australia they have the i7 16GB 512GB version listed for AUD$4199 which is crazy. You can buy a Macbook Pro Retina i7 16GB 512GB and an iPad Pro for the same price...AND Apple is known for being ludicrously expensive. I'm not sure whether Apple or Microsoft's pricing is off in Australia but something seems screwed with that pricing. I would have expected to see Microsoft somewhere midrange between Macbook Pro Retina and the current price here.

That said, I think the device is a great example of innovation and I think it will put pressure on Apple to change their strategy. Despite the pricing, I think this is going to be successful, or at least far more successful than the iPad Pro will be.

SB is too expensive given that it only uses a ULV dual core chip, and an entry-mid range GPU performance. If it's priced $300 more than SP4 without keyboard, it would be good value. iPad Pro will surely sell more than SB, but SP4 will outsell the iPad Pro IMO.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SB is too expensive given that it only uses a ULV dual core chip, and an entry-mid range GPU performance. If it's priced $300 more than SP4 without keyboard, it would be good value. iPad Pro will surely sell more than SB, but SP4 will outsell the iPad Pro IMO.
Sales numbers for iPad Pro will have almost nothing to do with features, functionality, and performance but will be driven by pop culture and to some extent IBMs success at pushing it in the enterprise. (Don't overlook the first right of refusal clauses written into enterprise customer contracts). It's like a Hotel California clause. (You can checkout but you can never leave) :)

daniielrp

SB is a laptop that can do duty as a tablet. SP4 is a tablet that can do duty as a laptop. Case closed.

Thing is, the Surface Book is not AT ALL a laptop. It's just a surface tablet and an expansion base. All of guts, except the external gpu are housed in that tiny thin tablet meaning thermal constraints and limited space = tablet performance.

Nuspieds

I was all set and waiting forever to get my new Surface Pro 4 (I stayed with the SP2 and decided to skip the SP3). I couldn't wait for October 6th to see the specs!

Then I saw the SB and that's when I decided to switch. :)

Since the very first Surface Pro, it has always been my laptop replacement. When I take my SP2 out with me, I am almost always using the Type Cover. Consequently, the SB is a better option for me.

It's important to remember that the SB tablet doesn't have a kickstand, so the SB isn't exactly the "same thing as" a SP with a physical keyboard.

Tsurugaya

Thing is, the Surface Book is not AT ALL a laptop. It's just a surface tablet and an expansion base. All of guts, except the external gpu are housed in that tiny thin tablet meaning thermal constraints and limited space = tablet performance.

Guts that are equal or superior to anything you find in a laptop housed in the base with about similar thickness. So yes, I maintain that the Surface Book is a laptop that can do duty as a tablet, while Surface Pro is the opposite.

daniielrp

Guts that are equal or superior to anything you find in a laptop housed in the base with about similar thickness. So yes, I maintain that the Surface Book is a laptop that can do duty as a tablet, while Surface Pro is the opposite.

Yeh that GPU with a pathetic 1GB of memory - gaming with 1GB on that resolution??? Yeh right ok... most powerful device hahahaha

What we have is a SP4 in a thinner shell with a external GPU and battery.

Sorry but whilst this is a cool idea, it just can't compare to a dedicated laptop.

Yeh that GPU with a pathetic 1GB of memory - gaming with 1GB on that resolution??? Yeh right ok... most powerful device hahahaha

What we have is a SP4 in a thinner shell with a external GPU and battery.

Sorry but whilst this is a cool idea, it just can't compare to a dedicated laptop.

Don't forget, which is twice as powerful as the Macbook Pro* and comes with at a $500 premium for an inch larger screen

* Disclaimer - Twice as fast as a base range 2012 Macbook Pro without a GPU which is almost half the price but less powerful than a comparatively priced Macbook Pro with an integrated GPU

MOFO

I like it.
At least it gives us more choices now, in all honesty I was sold on getting a SP4 PRO before seeing the Surface Book but it will come down to what exact nVidia GPU comes with the SB.
If it's a least a 950M it will be a hard to resist, anything lower and the Intel HD 520 might just be enough for my needs.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like it.
At least it gives us more choices now, in all honesty I was sold on getting a SP4 PRO before seeing the Surface Book but it will come down to what exact nVidia GPU comes with the SB.
If it's a least a 950M it will be a hard to resist, anything lower and the Intel HD 520 might just be enough for my needs.
Rumor and speculation have it as a custom NVIDIA GPU for the Surface Book.
Either way the units thermal envelope will make benchmarking the only true tell.