What's new

Well, now I am sold

jds4300

I had been using win10 preview on a laptop, and was intentionally NOT upgrading my SP3 due to my concerns about "tablet mode" functionality, compared with ver 8.1.

But after accustoming myself to the new OS, I realized that everything I did in 8.1 could be replicated, with just a slightly different swipe here or there. So I took the plunge.

My SP3 is now running Win10, and I really don't miss anything!

My advice to anyone who is still on the fence, wondering if to upgrade: go for it!
I agree with you 1000%! My Surface 3 is running GREAT with Windows 10. The new Start Screen and the Edge browser are my favorites. I deleted, without hesitation, Firefox, Chrome and Opera within hours of browsing and setting up Edge to my liking. The Edge browser is PERFECT for all of my needs. Microsoft has done an outstanding job with this MAJOR OS update!

CrippsCorner

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I feel for browser use on a tablet, Edge is not as good as IE. Two main reasons are no swiping to go backwards/forwards which is a cardinal sin in my opinion... and also that you can't get rid of the address bar, meaning you have less real estate of the screen to actually see.

kristalsoldier

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I feel for browser use on a tablet, Edge is not as good as IE. Two main reasons are no swiping to go backwards/forwards which is a cardinal sin in my opinion... and also that you can't get rid of the address bar, meaning you have less real estate of the screen to actually see.

While I will say that I like Edge, I do agree with the two points you make - swiping and collapsing the address bar. The last is kind of surprising because this collapsing thing is universal across the Office Suite so why not here? Let's hope MS addresses things like these. Otherwise, I do like W10 (though the tablet interface needs some attention - MS: Get rid of this vertical scrolling in tablet mode!!!!!)

stlbud

I agree with the OP, it is a much more coherent experience. It now feels like a proper multi-use hybrid device where previously it works but it not only felt disconnected it actually was disconnected. Much improved.
I was shopping for a tablet when I bought my first Surface. Now I've got a kluge that doesn't work well in either environment. I will never understand the logic of destroying the desktop experience in Windows 8 and now destroying the tablet experience in Windows 10. If Continuum can switch between both environments, give me what I had with Windows 8.1. You can keep the rest.

Cyb3rDud3

I was shopping for a tablet when I bought my first Surface. Now I've got a kluge that doesn't work well in either environment. I will never understand the logic of destroying the desktop experience in Windows 8 and now destroying the tablet experience in Windows 10. If Continuum can switch between both environments, give me what I had with Windows 8.1. You can keep the rest.
Well that is easy, just don't upgrade or rollback.

I think you are over dramatic though. The desktop experience was there in 8 with just a different "start" menu, likewise the tablet experience in ten is much better and more consistent.

But hey you've got the choice, use it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that is easy, just don't upgrade or rollback.

I think you are over dramatic though. The desktop experience was there in 8 with just a different "start" menu, likewise the tablet experience in ten is much better and more consistent.

But hey you've got the choice, use it.
You could fix 8's desktop experience with a start menu add-on, you cant fix 10 it's AFU. TM is a bad joke but I guess some laugh.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
TM is a brilliant joke. Some justs have no sense of humour. Se what I did there? :) It's not cut and dried as you like to pretend.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
TM is a brilliant joke. Some justs have no sense of humour. Se what I did there? :) It's not cut and dried as you like to pretend.
Yeah, I see what you did, you finally admitted 10 is a joke. The joke is on MS, they listened to all the pundits sitting behind their desktop monitors giving out bad advice.

CrippsCorner

They call it Windows '10' because it takes 10 minutes to learn... anything longer than that and you probably shouldn't have bothered upgrading at all!