What's new

Went to bed 50% battery! woke up today at 0%, thanks Microsoft!

macmee

I swear I have experiment every bug in the book with these buggy devices.

Is there any reason why the device would drain down to 0 like this when not being used and is there anything I can do about it?

When I turn my device on right now it shows a battery icon in the middle of the screen and nothing else. Has this damaged my battery and should I contact Microsoft regarding another exchange?

Sent from my iPad with great sorrow :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Run a battery report it will list what prevented your machine from hibernating.... use the SleepStudy Switch

powercfg -sleepstudy

Make sure you run it from an elevated cmd prompt...

Garyjk

shut it down. my surface pro hasn't been charged in over a week. I don't use it too much, but I do use it everyday. right now at 78%.
my surface2, same thing, over 3 weeks and i'm at 54%.

I have no reason to use standby when the things boot so fast.

jackh

Run a battery report it will list what prevented your machine from hibernating.... use the SleepStudy Switch

powercfg -sleepstudy

Jeff I tried that command and it won't run--Says connected standby is not supported on this machine--Can't run tool

Jack

OP
macmee

macmee

shut it down. my surface pro hasn't been charged in over a week. I don't use it too much, but I do use it everyday. right now at 78%.
my surface2, same thing, over 3 weeks and i'm at 54%.

I have no reason to use standby when the things boot so fast.

No. I will not shut it down because if the device drains 50% overnight with no use this is a problem.

powercfg -sleepstudy

"Connected Standby is not supported on this machine. Cannot run tool."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I was on my Surface 2 when I posted, you can do a Battery Report, powercfg -batteryreport (Copy the report to your desktop or documents and open in IE) It won't give as much info but can at least narrow down active vs. sleep...

Elevated cmd prompt by right clicking (or drag down and select) and select run as administrator...

Also, if it does this again, run powercfg -lastwake

And it will show what caused it to wake from sleep...

Another helpful report is powercfg -energy which will give a detailed Energy Report

Last edited:

GoodBytes

To start command prompt as elevated credential (true Administrator).
Simply do Win+X (or right-click on the Start Button), and select Command Prompt (Admin).

I think the problem is not the Surface Pro 2. My desktop always wakes up in the middle of the night, daily. Rarely it remains off.
Never could find the issue. Usually disabling wake on LAN and wake on magic packet solves this. But even if I disable the mouse from waking the system, it still does.
Did not have any problem with Windows 7.

Same problem with my laptop. Worked great in Vista and Win7, but Win8... nope

I don't expect Microsoft fixing this bug until Win9.

Now I just hibernate or shutdown if I won't use it for a while.

OP
macmee

macmee

To start command prompt as elevated credential (true Administrator).
Simply do Win+X (or right-click on the Start Button), and select Command Prompt (Admin).

I think the problem is not the Surface Pro 2. My desktop always wakes up in the middle of the night, daily. Rarely it remains off.
Never could find the issue. Usually disabling wake on LAN and wake on magic packet solves this. But even if I disable the mouse from waking the system, it still does.
Did not have any problem with Windows 7.

Same problem with my laptop. Worked great in Vista and Win7, but Win8... nope

I don't expect Microsoft fixing this bug until Win9.

Now I just hibernate or shutdown if I won't use it for a while.

Oh it's always in hibernate because I cannot put my surface to sleep. It also suffers from the issue where it crashes upon waking up and does a full reboot.

I just want to know:

1. Did this incident damage the battery

2. How can I prevent this in the future

3. What Android tablets have styluses as good as the Surface?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh it's always in hibernate because I cannot put my surface to sleep. It also suffers from the issue where it crashes upon waking up and does a full reboot.

I just want to know:

1. Did this incident damage the battery

2. How can I prevent this in the future

3. What Android tablets have styluses as good as the Surface?

No it didn't damage the battery, it was caused by something preventing or woke it from hibernate, Which GPU driver are you using? Are you using any USB Video Adapters (Docks or Dongles), legacy software, etc...

The Samsung Note tablets use Wacom Feel Digitizer like the Surface Pro.

OP
macmee

macmee

Sounds to be a driver issue on your side or a broken Surface Pro 2.
I have not experience these issues.

:(

No it didn't damage the battery, it was caused by something preventing or woke it from hibernate, Which GPU driver are you using? Are you using any USB Video Adapters (Docks or Dongles), legacy software, etc...

The Samsung Note tablets use Wacom Feel Digitizer like the Surface Pro.

The only peripheral I am using is the touch 2 cover. I would be using whichever GPU driver came with my device. I am really worried that this will happen again and want to get to the bottom of it! The device would have been *in* hibernate so that means it must have woken up for some reason. Is there a way I can see why?

Also I'll check out the Note. I really like my Surface but it's difficult to use it in a working environment!