What's new

Went to Microsoft Store today to possibly purchase -then went to Apple Store.

daniielrp

Maybe a little -- but I bet when they do come out with a touch enabled Mac, it'll do things others haven't thought of yet --and-- whatever those new features might be, they're probably already patented... ;-)

I don't think we'll be seeing a touch Mac any time soon.

Apple have the very clear direction about their devices - iPad is tablet, Macbook is laptop. No hybrids.

And it's a very good strategy, clearly MS have struggled to get the hybrid idea right with the backtracking and then no start menu, then no start screen, killing RT before it got traction etc etc. Maybe Windows 10 will solve this problem, may be it won't, time will tell.

But for now, OS X seems to have no potential benefit at all from touch, and has no need to really as people generally seem to own both a Mac and iPad.

Which takes us nicely to the next point - why sell someone one hybrid device, when instead you can then sell two devices and make more money. Simples.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
why sell someone one hybrid device, when instead you can then sell two devices and make more money.
Exactly, Apple is a hardware company.

Game changer: MS should not try to make money selling hardware or to compete with Apple on that. Their game is in Apps and Services so the Hardware should be sold as cheaply as possible if not outright FREE because it enables the path to Apps and Services.

Exactly, Apple is a hardware company.

Game changer: MS should not try to make money selling hardware or to compete with Apple on that. Their game is in Apps and Services so the Hardware should be sold as cheaply as possible if not outright FREE because it enables the path to Apps and Services.

Coming from Mac I actually disagree. The thing that bugs me about the non-MS hardware is the bloatware they load on it which results in it being unstable for upgrades and constant issues. I think having them produce their own hardware was the best thing they did because I think they gained a better understanding of what the market wants and the issues with Windows as a result.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coming from Mac I actually disagree. The thing that bugs me about the non-MS hardware is the bloatware they load on it which results in it being unstable for upgrades and constant issues. I think having them produce their own hardware was the best thing they did because I think they gained a better understanding of what the market wants and the issues with Windows as a result.
Those are completely different issues. MS isn't selling hardware with crapware installed.

vsherry

I would not be surprised if Apple entered the hybrid arena. The iPad continues to be on a downward trajectory, and the upgrade cycle isn't great.

I also wouldn't be surprised either. The SP3 has turned into a $1.1 billion industry so I think Apple would be stupid not to. I think the challenge with these devices is no longer the validity, it's how to best put them together so the user experience is fluid. You want it to be a tablet when you are using it as a tablet and a desktop when you are using it as a desktop.

tuchas

A hybrid Mac is an inevitability, simply because they never had the pressure on them that MS is dishing out. The Surface Pro 3 is a success that Apple never saw coming. There are rumors of an "iPad Pro" that would either come with or allow for a stylus - a complete about face from the Steve Jobs days. Tablets themselves are not selling like they once did, so people are going to start looking at hybrids as the next alternative. Just wait until Windows 10 comes out this summer - that will be a huge game changer as well.

Tsurugaya

I am a Mac user (and write for an online Mac publication where I wrote a 3 part series about spending 2 weeks with the SP3).

The keyboard cover is a part time keyboard, nothing more. I carry a Logitech external for every day use.

The trackpad isn't great but there are plenty of tiny mice like the T610 so this shouldn't be an issue.

I think I read that article, very balanced.
The Type Cover is fine for business writing. A one page memo, e-mails, proposals, order sheets, and things like that is no problem. For a journalist or prolific writer, like yourself, it certainly has a limit. My own is about two pages, anything beyond that and my Mobile Bluetooth 6000 is the way to go. A few days ago the Y, G, B and P keys became non-responsive, suddenly I was overjoyed that I had access to my Type Cover. Even powered through a five page editorial.

Thanks. I agree on the type cover but I think it depends on what type of business you're in. Writing is only a part time for me, the balance of the time I do consulting which involves large documents so the type cover was never going to be suitable for full time use, but I am glad I have it. It's invaluable for other areas like being on a plane and I would recommend that every SP3 user buys it.

I'm still surprised Microsoft don't include it by default, I can't see how you could work without some form of keyboard and their advertising compares the SP3 pricing without the cover to the Macbook Air which has a keyboard. It's a little like Apple saying their Macbook Air has a 24" screen compared to the SP3's 12" because you could buy one which is not included in the price. Stupid advertising aside, I think the keyboard cover is a prilliant idea. The only thing I dislike about it is the noise it makes while you are typing compared to other keyboards. but that is something small.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A hybrid Mac is an inevitability, simply because they never had the pressure on them that MS is dishing out. The Surface Pro 3 is a success that Apple never saw coming. There are rumors of an "iPad Pro" that would either come with or allow for a stylus - a complete about face from the Steve Jobs days. Tablets themselves are not selling like they once did, so people are going to start looking at hybrids as the next alternative. Just wait until Windows 10 comes out this summer - that will be a huge game changer as well.

New Apple Refrigerator also makes Toast
New Apple Car also Files, Floats, Orbits, and includes a Milk Shake Bar.

If it has a pen or a keyboard you're doing it wrong, as soon as you have either you're dead.

I guess the next time someone from Apple speaks you should just ignore them for they know not what they do.

I can't wait to meet the new iPadBook LeadAir.

The i must stand for Irony.

:D