What's new

Went to Microsoft Store today to possibly purchase -then went to Apple Store.

RémiM

The keyboard cover is a part time keyboard, nothing more.

I don't agree with this statement. I use the cover keyboard as my main keyboard. I use it everyday, I code a lot with it, I write scientific papers, grant subventions, exams, reports, and many other things. With LateX and sometimes with word.

It works perfectly.

dstrauss

Thanks for posting your experience, @johnfrisco...

Plays nice with iCloud.
View attachment 5802

SC - where did you get that awesome desktop background?

On Topic - I am amazed by (1) the number of Windows users who deride touchscreens without even trying them, and (2) the number of immediate converts once they do. There will always be the crowd that claims you are committing a mortal sin if you fingers EVER stray from the keyboard, but the mouse and touch are a GREAT combination for optimum input. No keyboard/mouse combination is as handy as just reaching up and touching a target (hyperlink, menu choice) or zooming an imagine or screen.

dstrauss

I don't think we'll be seeing a touch Mac any time soon....

Which takes us nicely to the next point - why sell someone one hybrid device, when instead you can then sell two devices and make more money. Simples.

And that's the ONLY reason for Apple not making a touch enabled hybrid - their never ending quest for cash. Not saying there is anything wrong with naked capitalism (and I'm an iPhone 6 Plus devotee and soon to be Apple Watch owner), but STOP with defending the indefensible (looking at you Schiller and Cook) - OS X is NOT better for the absence of touch, nor is iPad better for no mouse support.

I think Surface Pro 3 has Apple very concerned...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
BTW - I write Competitive Intelligence Technical Teardowns, Reference Architectures, Technical Marketing Briefs all of which includes 1000s of pages all created on the SP3 Type Cover using the Trackpad. I also use it for large complex spreadsheets and large PowerPoint Decks.

My wife has done her Masters and Doctorate Programs using her SP2 and SP3 using the Type Cover, she uses an external mouse.

All of this talk that the keyboard is only a part-time keyboard is bunk and comes down personal preference.

dstrauss

All of this talk that the keyboard is only a part-time keyboard is bunk and comes down personal preference.

AMEN - it is far better than ANY iPad keyboard (trust me, I tried nearly all of them), and is even better (to me) than my wife's Toshiba and the Dell XPS 15 we tried. If for no other reason, PgUp, PgDn, Home, and End ALL HAVE DEDICATED BUTTONS - I was shocked at that HUGE available keyboard deck on the Dell XPS 15 and those keys are shared (by using a Fn key) with the arrow direction keys - HOW STUPID!

PS - sharpcolorado - thanks for the link. :D

polbit

I'm actually very surprised as well how good the Type Cover keyboard is. I'm pretty much full speed on it as long as I can find a comfortable and stable position, and the trackpad works better than most Windows trackpads.

For a laugh, I also have an SP2 with Touch Cover, and to say it's night and day is a big understatement. Used strictly as a screen cover...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm actually very surprised as well how good the Type Cover keyboard is. I'm pretty much full speed on it as long as I can find a comfortable and stable position, and the trackpad works better than most Windows trackpads.

For a laugh, I also have an SP2 with Touch Cover, and to say it's night and day is a big understatement. Used strictly as a screen cover...
I have used both and id just say they touch cover takes more getting used to than the type cover but not as much as an on-screen keyboard of any kind. The new Lenovo keyboards take some getting used to as well as the Apple Chiclet keyboards. So at the end of the day, use it and you'll adjust. I use(d) a lot of different keyboards and the only ones I couldn't adapt well to are 10.1 or smaller keyboards or those wave keyboards. I'm talking 10 finger typing, if you're a hunt-n-pecker I really doubt it matters at all.

polbit

I have tried getting used to the Touch Cover keyboard, but at the end of the day it's still unusable to me. I'm much faster with on-screen keyboard, as I've learned to adapt to it and have a soft touch - the Touch Cover if I type that way then it does not register half the time. If I type on it like I would on regular keyboard, I get no feel and have to keep looking at it, slowing me down. I'm glad there were choices for SP2 though, I wouldn't mind having the Touch Cover for the SP3 as a nice screen cover when I don't need a keyboard.

Apple MBP keyboard is my favorite keyboard by the way, so I'm not old school, full travel kind of a guy :) The 17" Asus ROG G750 I use for all the "serious" work is a close second though, I'm as fast on that as anything.

Cyb3rDud3

Coming from a MAC, and still have a few :) I can see and understand the comments of the OP.

1. Inconsistencies in experience - it still annoys me to have two very different browsers, one note, mail, people etc. Sure Windows 10 promises universal apps but it isn't there today.
2. Lack of unified inbox - come on even Outlook on OSX has got one. What is going on here...
3. The keyboard does feel rather low rent, it is also noisy... However typing on it is rather good, but ...
4. The trackpad sucks, no other way about it. It is seriously rubbish. It is ok for me for emergencies, but I'm actually carrying a separate mouse with me.

But despite that, I'm loving the hybrid nature of the device. It is great in daily use and is my primary machine.