What's new

What about battery life?

Sparky7474

I'm curious to know what the battery life is going to be for both flavors, has anyone heard any word on battery life for the RT and Win8 Tablet?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Looking at the specs, the RT is slated to have a 31.5 WattHour battery and the Pro is slated for a 42 WattHour battery.

A 42 Watt Hour battery plus an ARM processor in the "New iPad" yields about 10 hours of WiFi surfing on the net.

I would expect to see advertised battery life between 6-9 hours for each tablet. The Pro should have a real CPU (core i5) and will take a bit more power, but it does have a bigger battery.

In my experience, the biggest drain on battery are:
  • Screen Brightness
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • GPS

If I have my current tablet at max brightness, GPS on, WiFi on (doing turn by turn directions) I will get about 5 hours from my tablet.

If I have all radios off, minimum brightness, reading a Kindle Book or watching 720p video, I average about 10 hours for the tablet battery (which it advertises about 9 hours).

J515OP

Super Moderator
I think Frederuco is pretty spot on. 5-9 hours of use sounds right with a couple of days stand-by (maybe more).

OP
S

Sparky7474

Sounds like that's the norm for most tablets, which is good for me, my Surface 8 will be used for work purpose's with some entertainment use off and on. Just in case I tend to use it more, Ill have a couple of chargers one for work and one for home. : )