What's new

What am I going to regret the most if I order the 2GB model?

ynohtna

I'm trying to decide whether to cheap out $100 for the 2GB model or pay for the 4GB model.

I already have the i7 sp3 and the surface 3 is really just to replace the RT I traded in. The RT was ever only really used for some browsing light games, I did RDP to my sp3 before with the RT to work off the SP3 remotely.

I'm trying to figure out what the biggest regret I will have by not going with the 4GB option.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Telstar1948

For $100 I would go with the 4GB/126 version. The Atom processor is a crackerjack from all I've read, but 4GB of RAM would always be of help where you have a snappy but limited in power processor.

malberttoo

Spring for the extra. 2GB really doesn't leave with you much working room, after you consider what Windows itself occupies.

jds4300

I opted for the 2GB RAM. Why? Comparison benchmarks are nearly identical between the 2 and 4GB models. Sure, you reap extra internal storage for $100 more, but you can add extra storage to either (up to 128GB) with a MicroSD card. My 2GB model runs lightning fast and without any hint of lag. You'll be very happy with either model. I have NO REGRETS at all with my 2GB model. The Surface 3 kicks serious arse. I will never, ever waste another dime on an iPad. There is no comparison between the two.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to decide whether to cheap out $100 for the 2GB model or pay for the 4GB model.

I already have the i7 sp3 and the surface 3 is really just to replace the RT I traded in. The RT was ever only really used for some browsing light games, I did RDP to my sp3 before with the RT to work off the SP3 remotely.

I'm trying to figure out what the biggest regret I will have by not going with the 4GB option.

If your only looking to replace your RT you will only regret not spending the $100 on a great celebration with your SIGOTH. :)

bronsky

Before buying my S3nI had an Asus Vivonote 8 with 2 GB RAM. I spent nearly half my time redlining the RAM. 128/4 for me. At the very least, I would get the 64/4 business model for $50 more.

malberttoo

At some point, especially of you are a surfer that likes to have multiple tabs open in the browser, your proc will thank you for the extra "working space". You will feel it for sure when you hit that 2GB wall.

LouCap

Quite honestly, your biggest regret will be NOT getting the 4GB/128GB version. JMHO.

OP
Y

ynohtna

Thanks for all the opinions. The 4gb 64gb version would definitely be on my buy list but I won't be able to use my 100$ surface trade in coupon on that. I guess Microsoft.com won't be offering it anytime soon?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went for the 4gb model, and granted some of the sites I have open in tabs seem to be more demanding than normal, I find even on the 4gb that the machine will bog down here and there.