What's new

What Are Key Features Making You Buy a Pro?

Russ

Xterra --

I regard the Surface Pro as a laptop replacement. Specifically, I am buying one (finger poised over the Pre-Order button) to become my Ladyfriend's travel computer in replacement of her laptop. To generalize some stuff I have posted previously: it runs full Win8, so I can add software she needs; built-in ethernet connection; plus the myriad advantages of a tablet.

Regards,
Russ

Afy

Russ... no ethernet. Only Wireless unfortunately.
I probably will get one, since I cant find another compelling Win 8 device on the market. Ideally I would love an i7 and a 16 GB RAM yada yada... but cant find anything. So will compromise and get the Pro.

Russ

no ethernet. Only Wireless unfortunately.

Afy --

Thanks. Bad description. Ethernet via USB 3.0 is what works.

I am getting Ethernet via USB on my Surface RT, but since it is not really supported by Microsoft, I fear it may evaporate.

I'm going to pre-order the Pro as soon as it's available, so I can have it set up for her in time for her next China trip. Of course, the big test will be whether I'm willing to give it up when the time comes. May have to buy another Pro.

Take care,
Russ

Codevine

I need x86 apps. I want to develop on it (using Visual Studio and other stuff). One of the biggest features is the Pen+Digitizer. Should be quite good for Adobe Illustrator, not to mention writing notes during a lecture. It just has to replace my notebook - and I want tablet capabilities, too.

OP
X

xterrapro

Top of my List
- Full Win8 is a given... I returned the Atif500 due to keyboard and overall design issues
- Digitizer with good Pen input

Form Factor/Weight - Here is hoping that the difference between RT and Pro is subtle.

starLog

Russ... no ethernet. Only Wireless unfortunately.
I probably will get one, since I cant find another compelling Win 8 device on the market. Ideally I would love an i7 and a 16 GB RAM yada yada... but cant find anything. So will compromise and get the Pro.

afy. My son has a RT and uses a USB adaptor to Ethernet. Works just fine. The same company will have a USB to Serial adaptor for those of us who are required to config routers and switches.

I am very excited to get one.

Ashles

Reasons I intend to buy a Pro:
I have a lengthy train journey to work. On the way in normally I write, on the way home I watch video.
I use Office heavily (I know I'll have to buy and install on the Pro but thanks to work I can get Office for about USD10). But I write scripts in Celtx so would like to be able to install that. So full Windows 8 allows me to do that.
My preferred video watching program is KMPlayer so I can also install that. Sometimes I like to watch an old DVD and I have a light, robust DVD player and thanks to the USB port I can watch that.
I also fancy installing some old full PC games (not sure which yet) and it's great to have the flexibility of the full Windows back catalogue (not just Angry Birds etc, although they are fun too).
And in all honesty the widescreen dimensions are my favourite viewing format - I can't really understand all the negativity about that. For films - perfect. For everything else, perfectly fine.
Battery life could be a tad better, but I'll have a spare recharger at work and Power Gorilla are working on an adaptor for the Surface so if I need emergency longer battery life I have that option.

Just about everything on the Pro seems to suit me perfectly, except... when are they going to release the damn thing!
It's getting frustrating now. If they leave it any longer they are in serious danger of losing the excitement to any other company that can deliver something similar sooner.