What's new

What are your MS Office plans for your Surface Pro?

OP
J

jneikum

JN --

As mentioned in the other thread, the Surface Pro is for my Ladyfriend, so some decisions are still "portable." When I set up the Surface Pro for her, I will also be upgrading her home computer to Win8 Pro. I have unused licenses for Office 2013 and Office 2010 (both Pro). My current thinking is to put Office 2013 on the Surface Pro and Office 2010 on her home computer. We can always upgrade the home install, if she wants, but I doubt that will happen. I would like to have the Surface Pro more or less set-in-stone before she starts lugging it around China.

Regards,
Russ

I wish I had an extra license. That would make my decision sooo much easier! :)

OP
J

jneikum

I think I'll probably get 2010 now and get the upgrade to 2013 when it becomes available. I don't foresee myself needing 365. I just wish I had a discount on it!

Ashles

You need to look to the future, not the past!

It's not about looking to the past, it's about using the package that most easily allows you to do what you need. 2010 has loads of new features, but has made it harder for my department to do what we need. The casual user may enjoy drop shadows and cube animation - but we need easy to use charts, logical footer placement etc.
Not all change is automatically better. Just ask Instagram.

compnovo

I think I'll probably get 2010 now and get the upgrade to 2013 when it becomes available. I don't foresee myself needing 365. I just wish I had a discount on it!

Keep an eye on the sales at sites like Amazon and Newegg, you might get lucky. A couple of months ago I was able to get Office 2010 Home & Student for less than $100US and it comes with three seats. Since I already have Office 2007 Pro I have Outlook (my preferred mail app), Publisher, and Access, but I suspect most users can get by nicely without these programs.

bosamar

It's not about looking to the past, it's about using the package that most easily allows you to do what you need. 2010 has loads of new features, but has made it harder for my department to do what we need. The casual user may enjoy drop shadows and cube animation - but we need easy to use charts, logical footer placement etc.
Not all change is automatically better. Just ask Instagram.
I bet you despise the ribbon! lol I've learned to love it.

Russ

Office 2013 will also have touch support which is something you would want on touch enabled computer.....

Omni --
Thanks. That resolved the issue for me. I'll put Office 2013 on her Pro and 2010 on her home computer. There is no point in wasting touch-enabled software on a desktop computer.

Regards,
Russ

fps_dean

Not always. My department prefers 2003 to 2010. And we do a LOT of PowerPoint.

That's because 2003 had the best UI. I'd assume running 2003 over 2007/2010 anyway, but 2013 looks like it may be an upgrade especially on the touchscreen.