What's new

What display port monitor to use ?

starLog

Finally got approval to get a Surface at woek, need to know what lcd monitor has DP input and output. What are you guts usinf.?

mitchellvii

Finally got approval to get a Surface at woek, need to know what lcd monitor has DP input and output. What are you guts usinf.?

Or you can get any old monitor and a display port adapter.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
starLog

starLog

Wow just looked at my message. I need to reread before I post. looks like i am 10, but really i am 65.

thanks will google

What is the DP size on thr RT as it is different on my SP.

EDIT: just found out thr RT uses mini hdmi.. ARGGG why Microsoft did not make it the same as my SP...

Last edited:

mph

HDMI standard mainly used throughout customer devices only supports FHD.

Duspplay Port in the SPro Spec goes up to 2560*1440p
As a current Dell U2711 woner i would recommend a Dell U2713HM

malberttoo

HDMI standard mainly used throughout customer devices only supports FHD.

Duspplay Port in the SPro Spec goes up to 2560*1440p
As a current Dell U2711 woner i would recommend a Dell U2713HM

Those Dell Ultrasharp monitors are nice ones, I'm using this one Amazon.com: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10 - 8 ms: Computers & Accessories, it's great. You want 16:10, if you can help it.

HDMI is privately owned, any device that has HDMI on it, they had to pay royalties on that connector. DisplayPort is public, and like my friend mph stated above, it supports much broader resolutions than HDMI.

Igor

Yeh I have a couple of Dell's here, not connected to my SP though, but I think they're great. I've had a few over the years too, always had a positive experience with them.

Johntxk

I'm not a fan of the mini hdmi. Either I have a bad cable or a bad port because I have to lay my RT flat to retain the connect.

ScottyS

I just got a Dell UltraSharp U2713H Monitor. I'm running my Surface Pro at 2560X1440. It is awesome. With a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and external HD thru the USB, it's hard to believe the SP is not a desktop computer. But I just unplug and take it with me, and whatever I was working on is still there with me on the SP.

joudbren

With my SP I'm using a standard 24" LED monitor with a DVI input. The Apple mini-DVI to DVI adaptor is working perfectly for this and it's a nice dual screen setup at work. Unfortunately you still can't have different scaling sizes on the two screens but at my age, the 150% setting actually works pretty good on both screens and I'm enjoying the larger text even on the big screen. Still would be nice to be able to go 150% on the SP and 125% on the external though. MS has indicated a fix is in the works so we'll see. Cheers!

joudbren

I just got a Dell UltraSharp U2713H Monitor. I'm running my Surface Pro at 2560X1440. It is awesome. With a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and external HD thru the USB, it's hard to believe the SP is not a desktop computer. But I just unplug and take it with me, and whatever I was working on is still there with me on the SP.

+1

This is exactly my situation as well. It's hard to get this across to folks and the reviews mostly do a poor job of pointing this out. This thing is a full blown PC when I need it to be and a tablet when I need it to be that. I couldn't imagine working now without my SP and it's replaced my previous MacBook Air and my iPad. It's not a perfect replacement but it's good enough and I'm more than happy with any perceived trade-offs. Count me in for version 2 whenever that ships! Cheers!

P.S. I still laugh when people see my SP on my desk and can't get their head around the fact that it is in fact a full blown PC and is really running what they are seeing on my external monitor. A lot of attitudes change very quickly when you show then how that works and the fact that I can unplug the monitor and the power supply cord and walk away with my Surface Pro PC to use it in desktop mode as a tablet. All without powering anything down. Priceless.

Last edited:
OP
starLog

starLog

Excellent info, I will get the Dell Ultrasharp at work. They got me a RT to play wirh, so I need to show what it can do, then get SP's for the upper management.