What's new

What do I need to hook my Surface to a regular monitor?

Arizona Willie

I have the original Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 and was thinking of hooking it up to my monitor that has a HDMI connection.

Looking at my Surface I see a full sized USB connector.

I've seen some gadget advertised from Google that lets you put your laptop / computer on a tv screen and, as near as I can tell you plug it into an HDMI port on the TV.

Wouldn't an HDMI port on the monitor work as well?

Would the Surface communicate with that gadget, either on the monitor or a TV with HDMI?

I would greatly prefer to be able to put the Surface display up on the monitor via WIRELESS connection, if possible.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are wanting to hook it up wirelessly you will need a Miracast Adapter. I use the Netgear PTV3000, keep in mind that there is about a half second delay between the Pro and Wireless Display. If you want to do a wired connection with HDMI you can pick up the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter for the Surface, it retails for $40. You can get a generic one but the slant may require some trimming for a good fit.

kristalsoldier

If you are wanting to hook it up wirelessly you will need a Miracast Adapter. I use the Netgear PTV3000, keep in mind that there is about a half second delay between the Pro and Wireless Display. If you want to do a wired connection with HDMI you can pick up the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter for the Surface, it retails for $40. You can get a generic one but the slant may require some trimming for a good fit.

Does the same apply for connecting a Surface 2 to an external monitor?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can use the PTV3000 with the Surface 2 and the delay is the same though. For HDMI with the Surface 2 you either can buy the Surface Micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter or purchase a Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. I use the Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable myself on my Surface 2 if I hardwire but I mostly use my PTV3000 for streaming TV from the internet to my TV.

CrippsCorner

If you want to do a wired connection with HDMI you can pick up the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter for the Surface, it retails for $40. You can get a generic one but the slant may require some trimming for a good fit.

Yup this is how I do it and although the official cable is expensive, I think it's worth it. I'd love to go wireless but I think the delay in general browsing etc. would drive me mad.

Hopefully, they'll bring out monitors with Miracast built in and it will have been improved by then... fingers crossed!

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I'm wondering if the Chromecast thing would work.

Has anyone tried that?

On the website it says to plug the Chromecast into your TV and then connect it to your wireless network and then stream from your device to the TV via your wireless network.

I < presume > plugging it into the HDMI on a monitor work work just as well as on a TV.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering if the Chromecast thing would work.

Has anyone tried that?

On the website it says to plug the Chromecast into your TV and then connect it to your wireless network and then stream from your device to the TV via your wireless network.

I < presume > plugging it into the HDMI on a monitor work work just as well as on a TV.

Chromecast is limiting due the fact you need to use the Chrome Browser to control it, Miracast is an Open Platform

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

I decided to go with a $7 cable from China. Will < supposedly > be here next week.

With the advent of 4K videos which the current Miracast and Chromecast, presumably, are not capable of ... I decided to wait on buying one of those because it seems like 50 - 70 bucks or so wasted in the near future because they likely won't do 4K.

And the cable lets me try what I want to do without investing a lot of money in it.

I'm mainly interested in touch screen games and since I don't have a touch screen monitor I figured I could hook the Surface Pro up to the monitor and play on the Surface and use its touch screen.

Eventually, I will probably get a touch screen but not for awhile.

godzillinois

I bought this exact item and have had no issues at all with it. I am using it to connect the surface pro to my TV but I'm sure it will work for a HDMI monitor. It is just a dongle though so you'll need a standard HDMI cable to go with it.

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support - Monoprice.com

I love Monoprice! They make such good quality products at great costs! (Granted they make a HUGE amount of things and only really have experince with about 4 of their products...)

Have you had any trouble with the cable so far? Does it fit ok without the slant/angle connection? Is it a loose connection because of the lack of slant?